Re: new guy temperature control question

  • mrlovjoy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2013
      OK, I think I got an answer from the other replies. Boiling in the pot is required, whatever the temp., and the critical determiner as to what's being collected is the vapor temp. at the condenser input, which changes with the output from the pot, right? So, rather than trying to fiddle with the input temp., one needs to discard the output till the ethanol temp. range is reached. Is this close? Thanks again, H.
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
        That's pretty close, H.

        Take a look at the first post in this thread, to understand how a
        potstill distributes it's component liquids over the collection samples.
        This is the best description I've ever seen.

        http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=36=1012=13305#p13305

        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
          Darn! Let me try that link again.
          http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=36=1012=13405#p13405

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
        • Howard Fincher
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
            thenks Bob. I cut off everything after 36, and found it. Reading it now. Howard.

            To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
            From: zymurgybob@...
            Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:04:14 +0000
            Subject: [Distillers] Re: new guy temperature control question

            Darn! Let me try that link again.
            http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=36=1012=13405#p13405

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

          • GGB
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
              Zymurgy Bob wrote: "Darn! Let me try that link again."

              Try this one. http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1012

              Paul
            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
                Hey, Paul,

                Thanks for un-futzing that link. Kiwi, who wrote that post, is a good
                potstiller, on a couple of forums, and that's the best way I've ever
                seen the principle of potstilling described. I hope this helps those
                having trouble wrapping their minds around the concept.

                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
              • Kevin Dubois
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013