new guy temperature control question

  • mrlovjoy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2013
      Hi all.I'm considering distilling ethanol on a alt. fuel permit, but trying to decide if it would be worthwhile. I gather the process would be the same regardless of the end use of the product,eh? ;*) So this shouldn't be OT here. Anyway, if methanol vaporizes at a temperature slightly below that of ethanol,wouldn't using a PID controller (Very precise I am told), with the probe at the top of the column/condenser, and set for the methanol vap. point, get rid of all the methanol contaminant automatically, before resetting to the ethanol point, and running? Seems simple, so I'm sure it isn't. Thanks, Howard, in NM.
    • mrlovjoy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2013
        OK, I think I got an answer from the other replies. Boiling in the pot is required, whatever the temp., and the critical determiner as to what's being collected is the vapor temp. at the condenser input, which changes with the output from the pot, right? So, rather than trying to fiddle with the input temp., one needs to discard the output till the ethanol temp. range is reached. Is this close? Thanks again, H.
      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
          That's pretty close, H.

          Take a look at the first post in this thread, to understand how a
          potstill distributes it's component liquids over the collection samples.
          This is the best description I've ever seen.

          http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=36=1012=13305#p13305

          Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
            Darn! Let me try that link again.
            http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=36=1012=13405#p13405

            Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
          • Howard Fincher
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
              thenks Bob. I cut off everything after 36, and found it. Reading it now. Howard.

              To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
              From: zymurgybob@...
              Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:04:14 +0000
              Subject: [Distillers] Re: new guy temperature control question

              Darn! Let me try that link again.
              http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=36=1012=13405#p13405

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

            • GGB
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
                Zymurgy Bob wrote: "Darn! Let me try that link again."

                Try this one. http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1012

                Paul
              • tgfoitwoods
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2013
                  Hey, Paul,

                  Thanks for un-futzing that link. Kiwi, who wrote that post, is a good
                  potstiller, on a couple of forums, and that's the best way I've ever
                  seen the principle of potstilling described. I hope this helps those
                  having trouble wrapping their minds around the concept.

                  Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                • Kevin Dubois
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013