Re: Too smooth?

  • David Eastham
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 28, 2012
      Robbie

      After initial stripping run I ended up with 9 litres of 38% ethanol. From this I got 510ml heads, 2.28 litres middles and stopped after 750ml tails collected (880ml theoretical amount)This adds up to 3.54 litres of 93% spirit, approx 14% heads, 62% middles and 24% tails.This was from a wash of 27 litres with 6.5kg sugar. Theoretical alcohol from the initial sg of 1.09 to final sg of 1.0 gives 12.2% alcohol in the initial wash (this equates to 12.2/100x27 = 3.29l of 100% or 3.54 litres of 93% ethanol)
      Cheers
      Dave E

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Robbie Mabry <robbie46@...> wrote:

      > Dave, Would you explain what you mean by 14% heads and 24% tails. Are
      > those percentages of the total amount distilled?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Robbie PS No such thing as Too Smooth
      >
      > On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I would agree that you created a near perfect vodka. For me, my goal is
      > > smooth beverage and in most cases a great flavor. Congratz.
      > >
      > > Robert

    • David Eastham
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 28, 2012
        Hi Robert just answered the figures in previous post. I kept the temp steady at 78.1-78.2c throughout up to the tails which started at 78.2c and ended at 78.4c when I stopped the still. I ran take off at about 550ml per hour throughout.
        Cheers
        Dave E