Peated Scotch

  • James
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2012
      I believe I have made a major mistake while trying to make a peated scotch. I am wanting to make an Islay-type scotch with the high phenol flavor. Although the local homebrew shop suggested I use peat smoked malt very sparingly, I figured they were referring to smoked beer requirements and not spirit requirements. So I decided to combine 80% Golden Promise with 20% peat smoked malt for my grain bill. I have already made 2/3 of the low wines for this run but have not begun any final spirit run. Now I have just read about a possible difference between "peat smoked flavor" and "peat flavor", the first being produced by the smoked grain and the second being caused by the use of peat flavored water.

      My questions: Did I use way too much peat smoked barley and will this cause an overpowering aroma to my scotch? If so, is dilution the only way to correct this? Also, I've been doing some searching through the Group's past postings and found a reference to "essence of peat reek". Is this a good alternative to using natural peat filtered water to gain the phenol characteristic? Any other suggestions for making an Islay-style scotch would be much appreciated. Happy Holidays!
    • Eddie Hoskin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2013
        If memory serves, in Scottish whisky all the malt is peated...the degree to which it is so determines the strength of the peatiness.

        I'd not worry about it and run it.  If it should happen to be a little too intense, make up another batch of whiskey, this time unmalted, and blend to perfection :).

        Eddie

[...]

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2013
          Watch the "Moonshines" on Discovery.  The last two episodes covered Rye Scott Whiskey.  Unless you live in Scotland, you might want to call it "Scottish Inspired Whiskey." Lol!

          Robert