Re: [Distillers] Re: Yeast and Fermentation

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 46 , Dec 29, 2012
      I have told you about my sample dated 11/29/12, and 1 tbsp. of garlic was added to see if it would kill bacteria.  After a month it's still crackling away (fermenting).  This sample started with 1 tbsp. of yeast, and it was re-pitched with a second tbsp of yeast.  Not only is it strange that it's still going strong, but a second sample dated 12/02/12 is also going strong.  2 other samples started after have already been processed by freeze distillation.

      The only thing that makes any sense as to why those 2 samples are still fermenting seems to be the low amount of yeast used in those two compared to my most recent samples.  12/13 and 12/16 both used 21g of yeast and were re-pitched with another 7g or 8g of yeast.

      My 12/24 sample started with around 35g of yeast, but more sugar than all other samples.  If 12/24 burns out fast, then the only reason why samples 11/29 and 12/02 are still fermenting is the lack of yeast.  If this proves to be the case, I will need to add much larger amounts of yeast so that it will not ferment longer than 2 weeks.

      Robert