Sorghum

  • arf60152
    Message 1 of 5 , May 6, 2002
      Now to the real question.....

      I have just made a batch of gin from this years maple run and
      naturally think its the greatest gin I have ever tasted. I had some
      discussion with Tony while this was in progress and was not aware of
      this group.

      I ended up with about a gallon of gin and even at one martini a week,
      this will not get me through till next Spring. So, I am looking for
      other sources of raw materials and also would like to have something
      to compare the maple gin with to see if it is any different from gin
      made from something more readily available.

      Refined sugar from the supermarket, is not very creative and probably
      would not produce anything worth the trouble.

      I have not been able to come up with a source for molassas but I did
      find a place in Wisconsin that sells sorghum syrup for about
      $15/gallon. I also found lots of places that sell it for almost that
      much per quart but this has possibilities.

      Is soughum a good idea for this sort of stuff? Is it readily
      fermentable? Is there a particular yeast I should use?

      Thanks,

      js

      HOME: Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Sausage, Videos http://user.mc.net/arf
    • Jack Schmidling
      Message 2 of 5 , May 11, 2002
        Never heard a peep from my request for info on sorghum but I charged ahead
        anyway.

        I got a 3.5 gallon bucket yesterday and did some testing and think it will
        work pretty well.

        The syrup is thick to the point of not being fun to work with.

        I came up with a ratio of 1:3, syrup to water to get 1.100 gravity.

        I made an 8 l batch using 2700 gr syrup and 6 l water. I used champaign
        yeast and hope for about 12%.

        I will keep you all posted. If anyone wants to know the sorghum source, I
        will be happy to post it. The cost is $15 per gallon plus shipping from
        Wisconsin.

        js

        PHOTO OF THE WEEK http://user.mc.net/arf/weekly.htm
        HOME: Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Sausage, Videos http://user.mc.net/arf
      • cornfed62
        Message 3 of 5 , May 11, 2002
          Sorry, I didnt see your post last Monday. There are a few posts by a
          few people in the archives in this group and the new-distillers
          group. If you do a computer search for syrups and syrup processing,
          and cane syrup processing you will find a number of links for cane
          sugar and molasses and sorgham.

          I fermented some sorghum last fall. I used about 2 gallon in a 9
          gallon bucket with the rest water. One thing you are probably
          experiencing right now is the heady yeast/sorgham scent in your
          fermentation room. I can still detect it in the air 7 months later.
          I happened to like it so its no big deal. I used a spectrometer
          instead of a hydrometer to determine the brix levels. I had doubts
          that the heavy solution would give a accurate reading with a floating
          instrument. One thing you will need to do is gently stir the solution
          at least once a day to lift the yeast and keep the heavy syrup
          suspended. This will release a heavy surge of CO2 also. My batch
          fermented out to zero or low brix in about 12 days.

          Yes if you know where a bulk source of sorgham can be found in the
          midwest, I would be interested in your information. Please keep us
          posted on your results.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 11, 2002
            From: "cornfed62" <cornfed15@...>

            > One thing you are probably
            > experiencing right now is the heady yeast/sorgham scent in your
            > fermentation room.....

            Not yet. Just a few flecks of foam at this point. I brew beer so I am into
            heady scents.

            > I used a spectrometer
            > instead of a hydrometer to determine the brix levels. I had doubts
            > that the heavy solution would give a accurate reading with a floating
            > instrument.....

            I didn't even try a hydrometer on the syrup. What did you come up with?

            >One thing you will need to do is gently stir the solution
            > at least once a day to lift the yeast and keep the heavy syrup
            > suspended.....

            That's interesting. I would have thought that once dilluted it would stay
            that way.

            > Yes if you know where a bulk source of sorgham can be found in the
            > midwest, I would be interested in your information.....

            The company is Rolling Meadows Sorgum Mill or something like that. They
            have a web site but here is a snatch of email with the address:

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26, 2003
              For those interested in using sorghum for alcohol see:
              http://www.fao.org/inpho/compend/text/ch08.htm
              also /ch08.htm#TopofPage

              Wal