Re: [Distillers] Thumber Sizing

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
      P.S  In all of my reading there was no distinction as to thumper size.  The smaller the thumper, the faster it would become super saturated, but it would produce Ethanol with more of a bite.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
        The biggest issue I've run across with a thumper is simply that you are going to pick up the characteristics of whatever you put into it.

        That is to say, if you load it with heads or tails, then the product that comes out is going to tend to be loaded with heads or tails.  All those hard-won hearts will be effectively contaminated with inferior product.

        But then again, I've heard of fun things you can do with them too--for instance, 'infusing' a run with a differently flavored spirit.  I.e., if you load the thumper with a peach liquor, then the resulting product will absorba lot of those characteristics.

        In the end, I'd personally recommend building the column that you need to serve your purposes.  A basic reflux column can be as simple as a tall copper pipe with some filler material (copper scrubbies, marbles, you get the idea) that will actually do the job your hoping to accomplish.

        I'm happy with my (albeit infrequently used) still with a simple 3/4" copper column that rises for 24".  I do a simple stripping run, then one spirit run.  I get in the neighborhood of 75-82% on the hearts :).

        Hope that helps,
        Eddie

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
            Tube depth depends on a number of factors like overall thumper depth.  You would never place both tubes at the same height.  What is your thumper made out of is an other factor.  A metal or glass thumper can handle temps better, so you can place the intake within 1" of the bottom and outlet 1" from the top.  A wood thumper will be affected by heat more than metal or glass, so you would want the intake at least 3" from the bottom.  Fill the thumper half way with clean water or collected heads and tails.  Play around with inlet depth. because the deeper the inlet is it should give a better flavor.

            Robert