Thumber Sizing

  • civmmc01
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 19, 2012
      For a long time I've made double runs from the pot still. I'd like to build a thumper rig to cut down on time from running everything twice.

      I'm running a 15 gallon keg boiler. I've heard a lot about thumper sizing, how full to fill it and what to fill it with (mash, tail, etc)

      I'm not sure what I've read is good advice, and what is just BS.

      Any suggestions on starting up a thumper for a 15 gallon keg as far as size, fill volume, and what I'm filling it with?

      Thanks and shine safe!
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
        I am not qualified from experience, but I have read a greatdeal about the subject.  A thumper can be made out of wood, glass, stainless steal, and or copper.  You place input pipe from the pot within 1" from the bottom of your thumper, and the output is placed within 1" of the top.  You fill the thumper half full with clean water.  It will take at least three runs before you obtain quality hearts because you need the thumper water to become super saturated with Ethanol.  Yes, you could place your old heads and tails into a thumper if you have some saved in advance, but most people will not have heads and tails saved up for this in advance.  Search the internet, you can learn a great about stills, thumpers and worms.  You could also attach a reflux tower to your pot that would do the same thing, but make sure you use quality packing like copper scrubbers.  Check out www.homedistillers.org for a treasure trove of distilling info.  That is where I learned a great amount of my info on the subject of distilling.  One thing I don't like about a thumper is that you have to go too far into your run to recover your tails.  By the time you are hitting 30% abv. tails you are pumping steam into your thumper, but if you stop your tails at 50 to 60% you will be in good shape but you will still have Ethanol in your wash.  My future plans involve temperature control: 173 F to 210 F as a means of stripping as much usable alcohol from my wash as possible.  Hope this helps.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
          P.S  In all of my reading there was no distinction as to thumper size.  The smaller the thumper, the faster it would become super saturated, but it would produce Ethanol with more of a bite.

          Robert

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2012
            The biggest issue I've run across with a thumper is simply that you are going to pick up the characteristics of whatever you put into it.

            That is to say, if you load it with heads or tails, then the product that comes out is going to tend to be loaded with heads or tails.  All those hard-won hearts will be effectively contaminated with inferior product.

            But then again, I've heard of fun things you can do with them too--for instance, 'infusing' a run with a differently flavored spirit.  I.e., if you load the thumper with a peach liquor, then the resulting product will absorba lot of those characteristics.

            In the end, I'd personally recommend building the column that you need to serve your purposes.  A basic reflux column can be as simple as a tall copper pipe with some filler material (copper scrubbies, marbles, you get the idea) that will actually do the job your hoping to accomplish.

            I'm happy with my (albeit infrequently used) still with a simple 3/4" copper column that rises for 24".  I do a simple stripping run, then one spirit run.  I get in the neighborhood of 75-82% on the hearts :).

            Hope that helps,
            Eddie

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 29, 2012
                Tube depth depends on a number of factors like overall thumper depth.  You would never place both tubes at the same height.  What is your thumper made out of is an other factor.  A metal or glass thumper can handle temps better, so you can place the intake within 1" of the bottom and outlet 1" from the top.  A wood thumper will be affected by heat more than metal or glass, so you would want the intake at least 3" from the bottom.  Fill the thumper half way with clean water or collected heads and tails.  Play around with inlet depth. because the deeper the inlet is it should give a better flavor.

                Robert