Yeast and Fermentation

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 46 , Dec 14, 2012
      At this time, I am only experimenting with cane sugar, powdered sugar, and brown sugar washes.

      I am using Fleischmann's RapidRise yeast that you can buy in most grocery stores. What has me surprised is that I have a 1 gallon test wash batch that is still fermenting strong after 16 days (It was re-pitched after the first week). All of my other test batches were all but stalled by day 15, and it looks like it will be bubbling for at least 21 days or more. The only real difference in this batch from all of the others is that 1 tbsp. of powdered garlic was added to the wash. When I contacted Fleischmann's as to what garlic might do to their yeast, they stated that garlic would inhibit yeast growth. I wonder why my batch with garlic is still bubbling strong when it should have stalled by now? Note: The color is a much lighter yellow than my other sugar batches because it looks like the yeast is on the bottom rather than free floating.

      Anyone have any idea why its still fermenting, when it should have stalled before day 15?
    • RLB
      Message 46 of 46 , Dec 29, 2012
        I have told you about my sample dated 11/29/12, and 1 tbsp. of garlic was added to see if it would kill bacteria.  After a month it's still crackling away (fermenting).  This sample started with 1 tbsp. of yeast, and it was re-pitched with a second tbsp of yeast.  Not only is it strange that it's still going strong, but a second sample dated 12/02/12 is also going strong.  2 other samples started after have already been processed by freeze distillation.

        The only thing that makes any sense as to why those 2 samples are still fermenting seems to be the low amount of yeast used in those two compared to my most recent samples.  12/13 and 12/16 both used 21g of yeast and were re-pitched with another 7g or 8g of yeast.

        My 12/24 sample started with around 35g of yeast, but more sugar than all other samples.  If 12/24 burns out fast, then the only reason why samples 11/29 and 12/02 are still fermenting is the lack of yeast.  If this proves to be the case, I will need to add much larger amounts of yeast so that it will not ferment longer than 2 weeks.

        Robert