Re: Sugar Replacement

  • Ed Barcik
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 10, 2012

      IMHO, HFCS is the best if you want clean and easy fermenting, never had one hang, been using it for 4 years.

    • last2blast
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
        The main reason I am looking at sugar replacements is because of weather conditions that affect crops such as corn and sugar cane. If the US corn belt drought lasts for a long time, we will have a problem obtaining grains such as corn and HFCS which are made from corn. Some people might say, So what! You only then have to look at Hawaii, Texas, Louisiana, and Florida that are all receiving less rainfall than normal. My experiments will address finding other sources of sugar and extracting those sugars for the production spirits.

        Are there weeds that would normally be harmful to humans, but contain high levels of sugar that will produce a wonderful spirit?

        Just a thought

        Robert

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

        > IMHO, HFCS is the best if you want clean and easy fermenting, never had one
        > hang, been using it for 4 years.

      • Derek Hamlet
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
          At 12:47 AM 12/11/2012, you wrote:

          >The main reason I am looking at sugar replacements is because of
          >weather conditions that affect crops such as corn and sugar cane. If
          >the US corn belt drought lasts for a long time, we will have a
          >problem obtaining grains such as corn and HFCS which are made from
          >corn. Some people might say, So what! You only then have to look at
          >Hawaii, Texas, Louisiana, and Florida that are all receiving less
          >rainfall than normal. My experiments will address finding other
          >sources of sugar and extracting those sugars for the production spirits.
          >
          >Are there weeds that would normally be harmful to humans, but
          >contain high levels of sugar that will produce a wonderful spirit?

          Sometimes I think we need to remember that there is nothing new about
          distilling. Absolutely improvements are made in still building
          technology. Science brings new enzymes/yeasts etc. to market. But,
          mother nature provides the raw materials for the must. If it's
          natural, contains high sugars it's been tried. Hence the thumbs down
          on potatoes.
          If it's alcohol one wants and you are willing to mix it or add
          flavorings then neutral spirit is my advice. If you want the
          adventure of pot stills with inherent flavors, then some form of
          grains is probably the way to go. Yeah I know I didn't say anything about rum.

          Derek