Re: Thermocouple Placement

  • Timothy C Smoth
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
      In the past I've read arguments for and against silicone. I use it when I have to and haven't noticed any problem. Teflon seems to be widely accepted. If you can make a seal by wrapping some pipe thread tape around your connection, I doubt any one will contest it. One method I used before was just wrapping the Teflon tape around the outside of the connection several times, then tightening a hose clamp on it. When I did this on my three inch riser, I used a cut piece of soda can to cover the Teflon before clamping.
      As for temperature reading, I think you should use one in the boiler near the base (but away from your heat source), one just out of the vapor path in the boiler, and two in your riser. Try to balance the location so that you get a true reading and yet don't allow condensation to hit your sensors.
      You might not look at three of the temps after a few runs, but you would have a good understanding of your inner workings by then.

      Sent from Tim's iPhone
    • Ion Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
        teflon all the way