Thermocouple Placement

  • rhinodust
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2012
      I didn't get any responses from the New Distillers group so I'll try here.
      Building my first Boka and I have a few questions: Was wondering about
      thermocouple (not a thermometer) placement. I could put it in the cap at the top of the 2" x 48" reflux column or in the cross-over from the column to the 12" x 3" dia. condensor. My thinking is if it goes into the cross-over it will show
      temp imediatley before condensation. Any opinions? I have up to four inputs on the digital display. One will go into the boiler keg, one at the top of the column (depending on the answer to my question). Any suggestions for the other two thermocouples. Also, I am using high temp silicon on the connection at the top of my condensor and on the takeoff cup. This is to make it easy to take apart to clean, any chance of this being a problem? There is very little vapor contact and the temp is low at these areas. And finally, when I run my
      first pressure test, is it OK to run vinagar in the water to help clean out the junk. I would run pure water after that.

      Thanks,
      Rhinodust
    • Timothy C Smoth
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
        In the past I've read arguments for and against silicone. I use it when I have to and haven't noticed any problem. Teflon seems to be widely accepted. If you can make a seal by wrapping some pipe thread tape around your connection, I doubt any one will contest it. One method I used before was just wrapping the Teflon tape around the outside of the connection several times, then tightening a hose clamp on it. When I did this on my three inch riser, I used a cut piece of soda can to cover the Teflon before clamping.
        As for temperature reading, I think you should use one in the boiler near the base (but away from your heat source), one just out of the vapor path in the boiler, and two in your riser. Try to balance the location so that you get a true reading and yet don't allow condensation to hit your sensors.
        You might not look at three of the temps after a few runs, but you would have a good understanding of your inner workings by then.

        Sent from Tim's iPhone
      • Ion Brown
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2012
          teflon all the way