Re: Sugar Replacement

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
      Thanks for the info on stevia. Since it is not sugar, it would be a waste of my time.

      As for potatoes to produce vodka, like you said, "Trying" is the fun part of experimentation. My thoughts of using potatoes is similar to what I did as a child with carrots. I would grate carrots and press the juices out, so my plan is to grate potatoes into a fine pulp and extract the juice by pressing, and that would keep the mess to a minimum. That juice would then be heated up to 165 F. and yeast added once it cooled.

      Yes, you are correct in that I have too much time on my hands, but we learn by trying something new. I can read how bourbon is produced, but it does not give me the experience to make a good bourbon. Waiting 6 months to 6 years to learn how to make a good bourbon is less than ideal to me, so I have developed a process that should produce a finished bourbon within 1 or 2 month. It's legality is a gray area, but it should give me the experience I need to produce a good bourbon. I am not fond of the equipment used in the production of bourbon mash, so I redesigned the equipment to correct many of the problems associated with its production.

      I learn by reading, doing, and thinking out side of the box.

      Thanks for the info.

      Robert

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Hoskin <eddie_hoskin@...> wrote:

      > As the previous gent mentioned, for potatoes you need to convert the starch to sugar.  That means either using an amylase additive and cooking it at 152ºF, or using some Amylase bearing grains, such as malted barley.
      >
      > I have made vodka from potatoes, and my humble opinion is thus:  yes, you can make it, and it's fun to say you did it, but it's not offering anything 'special', and boy is it messy!  You'd be much happier finding a better sugar source...ones that have husks or can be pressed (ie, grains and fruits) will yield much more appreciable results.
      >
      > If you're looking for an off-the-wall sugar source, and have too much time on your hands, try making sake from rice.  It'll already be ~19%, so distilling is optional, but unnecessary.  And, it's cheap.  But it will take quite a while to ferment, and it is messy.
      >
      > The sweetness from stevia comes not from sugar, but a compound that is much sweeter than sugar.  No sugar = no alcohol, so don't bother with it.
      >
      > HTH,
      > Eddie
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Fredrick Lee
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
        > I would grate carrots and press the juices out, so my plan is to grate potatoes into a fine pulp and extract the juice by pressing, and that would keep the mess to a minimum. That juice would then be heated up to 165 F. and yeast added once it cooled.

        Without some additional enzymes, that recipe will result in potato soup with yeast in it. Enzymes are required to convert potato starch into fermentable sugars. The enzymes must be added, potatoes don't have enough distatic power to convert starch. These enzymes will be debranched at about 122-133°F and make the soup more viscous, 152°F will activate them and start breaking down starches, and loosened up again at 168°F to release that last 2% of starch, and finally denatured and destroyed at higher than 168°F. If you want the most fermentable sugar from potatoes, that's the way. Lots of people have been fermenting all kinds of food for thousands of years. Most of those on that list are better for the dinner plate than the still. Onion is just downright slimy airplane glue when fermented.

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 9, 2012
          Thanks again for the temp info. 152 F to 165 F sound like a better range. If you had not realized it as of yet, I am not a fan of fermenting slime. (That lesson was learned in my sugar wash where everything but the kitchen sink was thrown into ferment. Wow that sugar wash was nasty looking.) My none grain experiments will be limited to grating and pressing to extract juices. Yes, it might be better to ferment grapes, peaches, apples, or etc. with the pulp, but I will pass on those messes for now.

          Robert

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Fredrick Lee <fredrick@...> wrote:

          > > I would grate carrots and press the juices out, so my plan is to grate potatoes into a fine pulp and extract the juice by pressing, and that would keep the mess to a minimum. That juice would then be heated up to 165 F. and yeast added once it cooled.
          >

          > Without some additional enzymes, that recipe will result in potato soup with yeast in it. Enzymes are required to convert potato starch into fermentable sugars. The enzymes must be added, potatoes don't have enough distatic power to convert starch. These enzymes will be debranched at about 122-133°F and make the soup more viscous, 152°F will activate them and start breaking down starches, and loosened up again at 168°F to release that last 2% of starch, and finally denatured and destroyed at higher than 168°F. If you want the most fermentable sugar from potatoes, that's the way. Lots of people have been fermenting all kinds of food for thousands of years. Most of those on that list are better for the dinner plate than the still. Onion is just downright slimy airplane glue when fermented.
          >
          > On Dec 9, 2012, at 7:48 PM, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I would grate carrots and press the juices out, so my plan is to grate potatoes into a fine pulp and extract the juice by pressing, and that would keep the mess to a minimum. That juice would then be heated up to 165 F. and yeast added once it cooled.

        • Ed Barcik
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 10, 2012

            IMHO, HFCS is the best if you want clean and easy fermenting, never had one hang, been using it for 4 years.

          • last2blast
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
              The main reason I am looking at sugar replacements is because of weather conditions that affect crops such as corn and sugar cane. If the US corn belt drought lasts for a long time, we will have a problem obtaining grains such as corn and HFCS which are made from corn. Some people might say, So what! You only then have to look at Hawaii, Texas, Louisiana, and Florida that are all receiving less rainfall than normal. My experiments will address finding other sources of sugar and extracting those sugars for the production spirits.

              Are there weeds that would normally be harmful to humans, but contain high levels of sugar that will produce a wonderful spirit?

              Just a thought

              Robert

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

              > IMHO, HFCS is the best if you want clean and easy fermenting, never had one
              > hang, been using it for 4 years.

            • Derek Hamlet
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 11, 2012
                At 12:47 AM 12/11/2012, you wrote:

                >The main reason I am looking at sugar replacements is because of
                >weather conditions that affect crops such as corn and sugar cane. If
                >the US corn belt drought lasts for a long time, we will have a
                >problem obtaining grains such as corn and HFCS which are made from
                >corn. Some people might say, So what! You only then have to look at
                >Hawaii, Texas, Louisiana, and Florida that are all receiving less
                >rainfall than normal. My experiments will address finding other
                >sources of sugar and extracting those sugars for the production spirits.
                >
                >Are there weeds that would normally be harmful to humans, but
                >contain high levels of sugar that will produce a wonderful spirit?

                Sometimes I think we need to remember that there is nothing new about
                distilling. Absolutely improvements are made in still building
                technology. Science brings new enzymes/yeasts etc. to market. But,
                mother nature provides the raw materials for the must. If it's
                natural, contains high sugars it's been tried. Hence the thumbs down
                on potatoes.
                If it's alcohol one wants and you are willing to mix it or add
                flavorings then neutral spirit is my advice. If you want the
                adventure of pot stills with inherent flavors, then some form of
                grains is probably the way to go. Yeah I know I didn't say anything about rum.

                Derek