Sugar Wash Experiments

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2012
      I decided to experiment with sugar wash as a means of establishing a good base formula for future mash and wash experiments. To date, 6 experiments were conducted: 4 sugar base, 1 light brown sugar, and 1 powdered sugar based washed.

      Each sugar wash started with just over 1 gallon of water before ingredients were added. Yeast I am using ferments for 15 days before almost stalling.

      2 - Sugar wash were straight up sugar, nutrients, and yeast.
      1 - Sugar wash had everything but the kitchen sink tossed in.
      1 - Sugar wash had garlic added to the wash to see if it would prevent harmful bacteria growth. (Smells bad at first, but its gone after a few days) (Sugar wash is yellowish in color unless you add tea) (Fermentation is lasting 15 days re-pitch)

      1 - Light brown sugar wash: Fermentation has almost stalled even after being re-pitched. (Light brown sugar is a nice caramel color)

      1 - Powdered sugar wash: Fermentation has slowed down greatly even after re-pitch. (Powdered sugar is white in color)

      My first 2 sugar wash have been freeze distilled to extract as much water as possible. 150 oz. were reduced to around 22 to 25 oz. of liquid, and they were placed into a refrigerator for testing and processing until another time. All six wash samples will undergo the same freeze distillation process once fermentation has stalled. Eventually all 6 will be processed to determine alcohol content.

      Once they are processed, each batch should provide: 1 oz Head, 3 oz hearts, and 5 oz. of quality tails.

      My next 2 experiments will involve honey wash and molasses wash.

      Once these eight experiments are completed, I will experiment with grain mash, brandy mash, and malts. I have an idea for a way to make a quality bourbon, but my way will be frowned on by TTB and the establishment because it ventures into a gray area.