Re: mash question

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2012
      In my experiment with freeze distillation, I was able to take about 150 oz. of sugar wash and reduce that down to around 25 oz. for cold storage. For me this is a perfect way to store my sugar wash until it can be processed further. I dipped my finger into my concentrated wash just to get a sense of its taste: On the front end, it had no taste like water. On the back end, it was bitter because it had not been filtered.

      Those two drops on my finger gave me a headache, which most likely was the result of Methanol in my wash. It also gave me an ever so slight buzz.

      I am pleased with the results of my first test. My way is a lot more labor intensive, but I am satisfied that my batches will not spoil or become infected with bacteria. This will give you something to think about as a means of long term wash storage until you have time to process it properly.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Byron" <odiekokee@...> wrote:

      > My apology for a overly simple question:
      >
      > With a simple mash, is there any harm to leaving it to sit anywhere from a day to a month past the end of bubbling from the check? I know the yeast is done and dead, just wanting to make sure it won't cause trouble before i leave it to sit till I have time to finish the process.
      >
      > Much obliged,
      > Me.

    • made_it_myself
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
        If you are making a simple sugar wash ther won't be any methanol in it so your headache was probably just coincidence.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:

        > In my experiment with freeze distillation, I was able to take about 150 oz. of sugar wash and reduce that down to around 25 oz. for cold storage. For me this is a perfect way to store my sugar wash until it can be processed further. I dipped my finger into my concentrated wash just to get a sense of its taste: On the front end, it had no taste like water. On the back end, it was bitter because it had not been filtered.
        >
        > Those two drops on my finger gave me a headache, which most likely was the result of Methanol in my wash. It also gave me an ever so slight buzz.
        >
        > I am pleased with the results of my first test. My way is a lot more labor intensive, but I am satisfied that my batches will not spoil or become infected with bacteria. This will give you something to think about as a means of long term wash storage until you have time to process it properly.
        >

        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Byron" <odiekokee@> wrote:
        > >
        > > My apology for a overly simple question:
        > >
        > > With a simple mash, is there any harm to leaving it to sit anywhere from a day to a month past the end of bubbling from the check? I know the yeast is done and dead, just wanting to make sure it won't cause trouble before i leave it to sit till I have time to finish the process.
        > >
        > > Much obliged,
        > > Me.

      • last2blast
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
          All good points, but my freeze distilled wash has to be done this way until I can build or purchase a pot still. I am not one too wait until I have everything in place before I start my experiments. One of the other commentator's stated that water will not freeze beyond 20% alcohol, but 20% alcohol may not kill all bacteria. This is why I refrigerate my freeze distilled batches at this time.

          Garlic kills bacteria and smells bad during fermentation, but it seems not to harm fermentation process. It will be interesting to find out how garlic will affect its taste.

          By the way, I made poor wines in the past, and I got the bug to try distilled spirits from watching "Moonshiners". Once I have a process, formula, and funding, I will go completely legal with a nano-distillery. Current TTB regulations make it almost impossible to come up with a process and formulas without thousands of dollars on hand.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Adam Fordham <bluwater2828@...> wrote:

          > The character of your distilate will change. Possibly a good thing pprobably a negative thing. There really is no benefit to ageing a wash that I am aware of aside from clearing. A completely fermented out wash is still a wonderful thing to bacteria. Freezing would be best for storage but not practical. Hops was originally added to beer for its antibacterial properties but I wouldn't distill a hopped mash. Oxygen promotes vinegar. Something else to consider would be stressed yeast produce nasty tasting components to survive. The acidity of wine and lack of oxygen is what preserved wine before sulfites were first used. Still works too.
          >

          > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        • nick shaffer
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 21, 2013
            I was in hosp. and had mash working,how long will mass stay good with air locks?
          • Ion Brown
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 21, 2013
              NICK , how crook are you ?

              Ion
            • ballard_bootlegger
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 23, 2013
                So what happened with the garlic? I'm almost positive the garlic flavor would come through the distillation. I've never thought of flavoring booze with garlic, it may be a magical addition to someone's gin recipe. Let us know how it turns out.

                W.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "last2blast" wrote:

                > If you added garlic to mash, would it kill the bacteria without harming the yeast in mash?
                >
                > I will conduct an experiment to see how well garlic and yeast react to each other in a simple sugar mash.

              • RLB
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 23, 2013
                  I just got my new pot still, so I am experimenting to find its cuts.  All my garlic samples used baker's yeast, so I just mixed all of the baker's yeast into my first 3 striping runs.  In total, just under 1 gal of stripped alcohol was collected from all of my 1 gal samples.  All of that stripped bakers yeast smelled like turpentine or glue.  After a week in 1 qt jars, they did smell better.  I am currently waiting to collect a second gal of stripped alcohol to see what the final results will be with 4 garlic samples mixed in with the other.  I did a control garlic and not garlic samples, and the garlic sample stalled a week before its control sample.  I have better yeast that can tolerate 16% abv  I will do 2 more garlic samples and 2 non garlic samples with my new yeast and see what the results will be.  1 tbsp of garlic stalled in a sugar wash, but a 0.5 tbsp in a dark brown sugar wash did much better.  For a true garlic sample test it will take at least 15 gal of garlic wash.

                  Testing will continue as always, but its cold enough here to slow down fermentation.

                  Robert