Re: carbon filtering

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
      I purchased a large water filter that you would attach under your sink or basement. There are several different types of cartridges that you can purchase for them. I purchased one that looks like yarn on a roll and a charcoal filter. A small amount of charcoal will become dislodged during filtering, so it requires a second filter. In the future, I will purchase two of them. Run it through the charcoal and then the second filter. It well require a good pump to push it through both filters. Hope this helps.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

      > No, I have a separate 1 ½ " copper column for filtering and Calgon sells the
      > carbon although difficult to buy unless you are a water treatment guy.

    • ballard_bootlegger
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
        -No, you wouldn't want any trace of carbon in the actual still. The carbon will end up releasing what it picked up and potentially create unwanted compounds. You'll get a blue distillate that smells like ammonia. On the bright side you can filter it out and re-distill without too much difficulty.