Re: carbon filtering

  • Ed Barcik
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 22, 2012

      No, I have a separate 1 ½ “ copper column for filtering and Calgon sells the carbon although difficult to buy unless you are a water treatment guy.

    • last2blast
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
        I purchased a large water filter that you would attach under your sink or basement. There are several different types of cartridges that you can purchase for them. I purchased one that looks like yarn on a roll and a charcoal filter. A small amount of charcoal will become dislodged during filtering, so it requires a second filter. In the future, I will purchase two of them. Run it through the charcoal and then the second filter. It well require a good pump to push it through both filters. Hope this helps.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

        > No, I have a separate 1 ½ " copper column for filtering and Calgon sells the
        > carbon although difficult to buy unless you are a water treatment guy.

      • ballard_bootlegger
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
          -No, you wouldn't want any trace of carbon in the actual still. The carbon will end up releasing what it picked up and potentially create unwanted compounds. You'll get a blue distillate that smells like ammonia. On the bright side you can filter it out and re-distill without too much difficulty.