Still Data Spreadsheet

  • jnhaller@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 20, 2012
      Sometime in the past few months I read that there was an interest in having a spreadsheet available to input all of the typical data taken during a spirit run. I have made a spreadsheet for myself, based on my reflux still design. It has a 15 gallon keg as a boiler with two separate electric heating coils - one controlled by an on/off switch, the other controlled by a rheostat. It has an expansion or onion section above the keg with a 2 inch by 40 inch copper reflux section rising above that into the head. A liebig condenser taps off the side of the head thru a gate valve. This drops down into a perot and then discharges into collection jars.

      The attached spreadsheet template is divided into two parts. The left side (color coded yellow) requires the users input. The right side (color coded green) has calculated values. The only exception to this is block Y2. I do a pre-calculated estimate of the total volume of alcohol (at 100% abv) available in the boiling kettle before starting the run. The spreadsheet then calculates the remaining available volume as samples are taken.

      I have also included my last spreadsheet from a spirit run to show you a typical result. I find it very handy during and after the run. Since I couldn't figure out how to attach the files directly to this message, I have downloaded them to the Files section of this Group under the names "Distillation Data Spreadsheet" and "Distillation Data Spirit Run". They are in Excel 2010 format. If needed, I could possibly save them in another format that you can use.

      I hope someone can find this useful.

      Jim
    • Peggy Korth