Re: [Distillers] Re: carbon filtering

  • anthony chiappetta
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 19, 2012
      hello, interesting, so you put carbon in you column on your still? also were can i get 50 lbs for 40 bucks? thanks

      On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:28 AM, edbar44 <edbar44@...> wrote:

      you're supposed saturate or boil the carbon (after rinsing) since it is supposed to increase it filtering ability, not sure if that's a fact. anyway if you clean the carbon and it's saturated, depending on your volume, your product will force the water out when it is going down the column, depending on your setup, mine hold about 500 ml of water, so when I begin filtering, I wait for the 500 ml to come out and then start testing for alcohol, I guess I lose about 150 ml but you get it back on the back end when you're changing carbon. I add 500 ml to the empty column and flush out the remaining alcohol. so 150 ml of 40% ABV isn't much. I usually run my carbon for 3000 ml unless some flavors begin to appear.

      hope this helps, just my way of doing things. I never reuse the carbon, too much trouble cleaning it properly and you can get 50# bags for about $40. I've used 2 bags in 6 years.

      read the carbon handbook if you haven't already, it's posted in many places on the boards and suppliers web sites.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mccumster" <dmccallum76@...> wrote:

      > How much alcohol do you lose when carbon filtering. Does the proof drop a substantial amount?

    • Ed Barcik
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 22, 2012

        No, I have a separate 1 ½ “ copper column for filtering and Calgon sells the carbon although difficult to buy unless you are a water treatment guy.

      • last2blast
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 29, 2012
          I purchased a large water filter that you would attach under your sink or basement. There are several different types of cartridges that you can purchase for them. I purchased one that looks like yarn on a roll and a charcoal filter. A small amount of charcoal will become dislodged during filtering, so it requires a second filter. In the future, I will purchase two of them. Run it through the charcoal and then the second filter. It well require a good pump to push it through both filters. Hope this helps.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Barcik" <edbar44@...> wrote:

          > No, I have a separate 1 ½ " copper column for filtering and Calgon sells the
          > carbon although difficult to buy unless you are a water treatment guy.

        • ballard_bootlegger
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 30, 2012
            -No, you wouldn't want any trace of carbon in the actual still. The carbon will end up releasing what it picked up and potentially create unwanted compounds. You'll get a blue distillate that smells like ammonia. On the bright side you can filter it out and re-distill without too much difficulty.