fusels

  • spiritual
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2002
      I was going back over my notes to see where else i can try improve my brews and i came across something that i wasnt aware of....Is It true that fusel oils are produced in the fermenting barrel if the temperature goes above 25c?
    • Pete Sayers
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2002
        Yes, there was a thought that the higher the temp, the greater amount of "High Volatiles" produced.Nobody has brought this up for a while, but i believe that yeast type will have a bit to do with what is produced.
        Pete
        I was going back over my notes to see where else i can try improve my brews and i came across something that i wasnt aware of....Is It true that fusel oils are produced in the fermenting barrel if the temperature goes above 25c?

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2002
          >Is It true that fusel oils are produced in the fermenting barrel if the
          temperature goes above 25c?

          Apparently. But I havent seen too much detail on exactly how much more
          gets produced (say per each oC above 25). Just that it does happen, and is
          worse at the higher temperatures.

          Tony