Re: Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey

  • made_it_myself
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 7 11:01 AM
      When I was young free and single, and didn't have a Mortgage!
      I made quite a few wines with Maple Syrup, I can't remember doing a straight Maple Syrup one, but used it with fruits and flowers.
      My favourite one was Maple Syrup and Rose Petal wine, it was superb.
      Sadly it is too expensive for me to play with nowadays, and my many attempts to grow my own tree have all failed.
      But this has prompted me to have another go!
      Lawrence

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 9 6:14 AM
        Maple syrup is rather an expensive sugar source, but excellent as a flavoring source for liqueurs.

        http://www.canadianmaplesyrup.com/maplefacts.html

        Maple flavored whisky
        http://tinyurl.com/9969nfz

        wal

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 10 1:35 AM
          From this site it appears that 1/2 metric cup (125ml)honey/litre spirit is ideal.

          http://tinyurl.com/8kwsbca

          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sheeaigney" <timandjennifer@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone seen a recipe that comes close to this? I got a bottle for my birthday last night and I am hooked, so of course I have to try and make my own :)

        • dydd_iau
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 14 4:57 AM
            I would say that 125ml/litre is quite a lot. that would make it pretty sweet. depends on the type of honey you use but i would recomend starting at half this concentration and working your way up. very sweet can be nice but get pretty sickly after 1 glass. dont buy the cheap honey from the supermarket it is over proccessed to be little better than sugar syrup. often they water it down with syrup anyways. get some direct from a local beekeeper-its much nicer and better for you. we could do with the support!

            i like holding the bottle up to the light and watching the honey dissolve in the alcohol but then i am easily amused...