RE: [Distillers] Wood aging

  • Mavnkaf nkaf
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
      Nice find Wal but I think the word is, less oak and more time works better.  Alot of a oak hit at the beginng, you may miss the time to take your product off oak and risk over oaking?  Just, I read here!  Again I think Mal mentioned his results here?  The distiller will have to work out the right amounts of course, to suit there goals:)

      Cheers
      Marc

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: waljaco@...
      Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 11:27:10 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] Wood aging

      Although it refers to wine it is of interest to aging spirits -

      http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120164300

      wal

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
        5g/l (1/10oz/pt) of oak chips for 1 month is a good recommendation from other sources. 50-60%abv is recommended for a balanced extraction.
        wal

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mavnkaf nkaf <mavnkaf@...> wrote:

        > Nice find Wal but I think the word is, less oak and more time works better. Alot of a oak hit at the beginng, you may miss the time to take your product off oak and risk over oaking? Just, I read here! Again I think Mal mentioned his results here? The distiller will have to work out the right amounts of course, to suit there goals:)
        >
        > Cheers
        > Marc
        >

        > To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        > From: waljaco@...
        > Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 11:27:10 +0000
        > Subject: [Distillers] Wood aging
        >

        > Although it refers to wine it is of interest to aging spirits -
        >
        > http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20120164300
        >
        > wal

      • lostwilly929
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2012
          hey guys and gals,

          I've been playing with toasted blocks of wood in mason jars, and it's doing a great job. I'm making apple shine with brewers yeast, brown sugar, and cinnamon sticks in the mash. Also add a stick to the pot when distilling. Pulling it very slowly out of a pot still @ about 75%, cutting it to 55% with distilled water. Then it's a month or so in a qt. mason jar with a 1.5" cube of hard wood toasted on all sides. When the cube sinks it's done. I've used white oak, sweet cherry, and got some apple wood floating right now have to let you know how that one goes. I'm calling it apple rumski, if I'm using some else's product name or misusing rumski here some one please yell at me.

          Willy