Re: [Distillers] Re: Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey

  • Jean Levac
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 6, 2012
      Re: [Distillers] Re: Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey I’m working on a brew based on maple syrup. Not quite right yet.  If anyone out there has a fun recipe or tips... :)

      On 12-09-06 6:38 PM, "dydd_iau" <mr.lukeluke@...> wrote:

      when you say speeding up ageing what do you mean? do people do that when it is on wood?
      adding even a little honey definately makes a big difference. it feels like it takes about 15 percentage points off. it'll make the roughest spirit taste pretty smooth.
      incidentally has anyone ever made a brew based on maple syrup? i have been thinking about it-but i think i'm in the wrong country...

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
        See -
        Expedited aging

        http://www.google.com/patents/US20050042343

        wal

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dydd_iau" <mr.lukeluke@...> wrote:

        > when you say speeding up ageing what do you mean? do people do that when it is on wood?
        > adding even a little honey definately makes a big difference. it feels like it takes about 15 percentage points off. it'll make the roughest spirit taste pretty smooth.
        > incidentally has anyone ever made a brew based on maple syrup? i have been thinking about it-but i think i'm in the wrong country...

      • made_it_myself
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 7, 2012
          When I was young free and single, and didn't have a Mortgage!
          I made quite a few wines with Maple Syrup, I can't remember doing a straight Maple Syrup one, but used it with fruits and flowers.
          My favourite one was Maple Syrup and Rose Petal wine, it was superb.
          Sadly it is too expensive for me to play with nowadays, and my many attempts to grow my own tree have all failed.
          But this has prompted me to have another go!
          Lawrence

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 9, 2012
            Maple syrup is rather an expensive sugar source, but excellent as a flavoring source for liqueurs.

            http://www.canadianmaplesyrup.com/maplefacts.html

            Maple flavored whisky
            http://tinyurl.com/9969nfz

            wal

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 10, 2012
              From this site it appears that 1/2 metric cup (125ml)honey/litre spirit is ideal.

              http://tinyurl.com/8kwsbca

              wal

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sheeaigney" <timandjennifer@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone seen a recipe that comes close to this? I got a bottle for my birthday last night and I am hooked, so of course I have to try and make my own :)

            • dydd_iau
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 14, 2012
                I would say that 125ml/litre is quite a lot. that would make it pretty sweet. depends on the type of honey you use but i would recomend starting at half this concentration and working your way up. very sweet can be nice but get pretty sickly after 1 glass. dont buy the cheap honey from the supermarket it is over proccessed to be little better than sugar syrup. often they water it down with syrup anyways. get some direct from a local beekeeper-its much nicer and better for you. we could do with the support!

                i like holding the bottle up to the light and watching the honey dissolve in the alcohol but then i am easily amused...