Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey

  • sheeaigney
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 2 1:26 PM
      Has anyone seen a recipe that comes close to this? I got a bottle for my birthday last night and I am hooked, so of course I have to try and make my own :)
    • Vicki n Mike
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3 8:10 PM
        just add honey.

        On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 1:26 PM, sheeaigney <timandjennifer@...> wrote:

        Has anyone seen a recipe that comes close to this? I got a bottle for my birthday last night and I am hooked, so of course I have to try and make my own :)

      • Luke Luke
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4 3:06 AM
          I double distill mead made from a strong tropical honey (which has been burnt), this gets close to the flavour. add a little lighter flavoured honey after it has aged for the sweetness. it is close but doesnt quite have that bourbon hit, maybe aged on some bourbon barrel chips? i have a theory that adding honey at the start of the ageing process interfers with getting the maximum flavour. but then again if you get the balance right it might work out well. adding a couple of spoons of honey is a good way of smoothing out almost any rough edged spirit.
          if you like the JD honey try the Wild turkey honey.
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6 1:21 AM
            There is a practice of speeding up aging by using honey or even maple syrup.
            wal

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Luke Luke <mr.lukeluke@...> wrote:

            > I double distill mead made from a strong tropical honey (which has been
            > burnt), this gets close to the flavour. add a little lighter flavoured
            > honey after it has aged for the sweetness. it is close but doesnt quite
            > have that bourbon hit, maybe aged on some bourbon barrel chips? i have a
            > theory that adding honey at the start of the ageing process interfers with
            > getting the maximum flavour. but then again if you get the balance right it
            > might work out well. adding a couple of spoons of honey is a good way of
            > smoothing out almost any rough edged spirit.
            > if you like the JD honey try the Wild turkey honey.

          • dydd_iau
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 6 3:38 PM
              when you say speeding up ageing what do you mean? do people do that when it is on wood?
              adding even a little honey definately makes a big difference. it feels like it takes about 15 percentage points off. it'll make the roughest spirit taste pretty smooth.
              incidentally has anyone ever made a brew based on maple syrup? i have been thinking about it-but i think i'm in the wrong country...
            • Jean Levac
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6 7:31 PM
                Re: [Distillers] Re: Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey I’m working on a brew based on maple syrup. Not quite right yet.  If anyone out there has a fun recipe or tips... :)

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 7 2:56 AM
                  See -
                  Expedited aging

                  http://www.google.com/patents/US20050042343

                  wal

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "dydd_iau" <mr.lukeluke@...> wrote:

                  > when you say speeding up ageing what do you mean? do people do that when it is on wood?
                  > adding even a little honey definately makes a big difference. it feels like it takes about 15 percentage points off. it'll make the roughest spirit taste pretty smooth.
                  > incidentally has anyone ever made a brew based on maple syrup? i have been thinking about it-but i think i'm in the wrong country...

                • made_it_myself
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 7 11:01 AM
                    When I was young free and single, and didn't have a Mortgage!
                    I made quite a few wines with Maple Syrup, I can't remember doing a straight Maple Syrup one, but used it with fruits and flowers.
                    My favourite one was Maple Syrup and Rose Petal wine, it was superb.
                    Sadly it is too expensive for me to play with nowadays, and my many attempts to grow my own tree have all failed.
                    But this has prompted me to have another go!
                    Lawrence

                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 9 6:14 AM
                      Maple syrup is rather an expensive sugar source, but excellent as a flavoring source for liqueurs.

                      http://www.canadianmaplesyrup.com/maplefacts.html

                      Maple flavored whisky
                      http://tinyurl.com/9969nfz

                      wal

                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 10 1:35 AM
                        From this site it appears that 1/2 metric cup (125ml)honey/litre spirit is ideal.

                        http://tinyurl.com/8kwsbca

                        wal

                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 14 4:57 AM
                          I would say that 125ml/litre is quite a lot. that would make it pretty sweet. depends on the type of honey you use but i would recomend starting at half this concentration and working your way up. very sweet can be nice but get pretty sickly after 1 glass. dont buy the cheap honey from the supermarket it is over proccessed to be little better than sugar syrup. often they water it down with syrup anyways. get some direct from a local beekeeper-its much nicer and better for you. we could do with the support!

                          i like holding the bottle up to the light and watching the honey dissolve in the alcohol but then i am easily amused...