Re: [Distillers] Water Ph for mash/spirits, effects of high levels

  • Eddie Hoskin
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 25, 2012
      It's probably pretty close to brewing water requirements...my reccomendation is to buy RO (reverse osmosis) water from the grocery store;  it's typically ~0.40/gal, and use it to blend down your water to more acceptable levels.

      But as long as your pH is good, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Yeast is incredibly tolerant to hardness (Dublin water, for instance, is something like 400 PPM.  So they make stouts :p)  The yeasties do need some micronutrients found in regular water though, so don't use exclusively distilled/RO water or you'll hurt the ferment.

      The general rule for brewing, is if it tastes good--use it.  If not, then find a new source!

      HTH,
      Eddie