Re: Whey Spirit

  • cornfed62
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5 12:08 PM
      What is "Whey Spirit"? I didnt find a result for that during a web
      search for it.

      I did find reference to a man named Murtagh who is a traveling
      consultant for the commercial distilling industry and says he can
      make pure ethanol from milk products. He has a text book summarized
      online.

      http://www.distill.com/murtagh/textbook.html

      I imagine that http://www.distill.com/ is the root URL for a list of
      other distilling related subjects.

      --- In Distillers@y..., "robertstam2000" <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
      > Has anyone tried using commercially produced whey spirit (96%
      > Ethanol), adding fruit or herbs and spices, and redistilling that.
      > I'm thinking that you should be able to use the whole run as
      > the 'wash' is already clean of fusel oils, methanol, etc. and
      produce
      > somthing akin to Gin or by adding fruit, schnapps.
      > I'd be really interested in any feedback from people who have tried
      > this, the results, and if you feel like it, some recipe guidelines.
      >
      > Cheers, Rob
    • robertstam2000
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5 1:47 PM
        Whey Spirit is produced from whey, a by-product of the cheese
        making/dairy industry. It is relatively cheap and easy to get if you
        have a licence. It is basically just a nuetral spirit, tasteless,
        clear, and 96% Alc v/v.

        --- In Distillers@y..., "cornfed62" <cornfed15@h...> wrote:
        > What is "Whey Spirit"? I didnt find a result for that during a web
        > search for it.
        >
        > I did find reference to a man named Murtagh who is a traveling
        > consultant for the commercial distilling industry and says he can
        > make pure ethanol from milk products. He has a text book
        summarized
        > online.
        >
        > http://www.distill.com/murtagh/textbook.html
        >
        > I imagine that http://www.distill.com/ is the root URL for a list
        of
        > other distilling related subjects.
        >

        > --- In Distillers@y..., "robertstam2000" <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
        > > Has anyone tried using commercially produced whey spirit (96%
        > > Ethanol), adding fruit or herbs and spices, and redistilling
        that.
        > > I'm thinking that you should be able to use the whole run as
        > > the 'wash' is already clean of fusel oils, methanol, etc. and
        > produce
        > > somthing akin to Gin or by adding fruit, schnapps.
        > > I'd be really interested in any feedback from people who have
        tried
        > > this, the results, and if you feel like it, some recipe
        guidelines.

        > > Cheers, Rob
      • arf60152
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6 5:54 PM
          Just found this group and this thread really jumped out at me.

          I make cheese and get very dejected over having to dump the whey
          which contains all the sugar, down the drain. People are constantly
          asking what can be done with it and there really is no good answer
          unless you have pigs.

          I wonder what the gravity of the whey is as it never occurred to me
          to measure it.

          I will find out on the next batch.

          js

          PHOTO OF THE WEEK http://user.mc.net/arf/weekly.htm
          HOME: Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Sausage, Videos http://user.mc.net/arf
        • Pete Sayers
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6 7:01 PM
            In order to ferment whey, you apparently need a special yeast. Perhaps some
            one knows which yeast will do the job.
            Pete
            > Just found this group and this thread really jumped out at me.
            >
            > I make cheese and get very dejected over having to dump the whey
            > which contains all the sugar, down the drain. People are constantly
            > asking what can be done with it and there really is no good answer
            > unless you have pigs.
            >
            > I wonder what the gravity of the whey is as it never occurred to me
            > to measure it.
            >
            > I will find out on the next batch.
            >
            > js
            >
            > PHOTO OF THE WEEK http://user.mc.net/arf/weekly.htm