Sourdough?

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2012
      I was just feeding the "mother" for tomorrow's sourdough when I started thinking how nice it smelt and how well it bubbled. Then it occured to me that Belgians use wild yeast and bacteria for some of their ales and we do sourmashing. Now could we use the starter for sourdough for ethanol production? Maybe we could toss a bit of the starter to our sour mashes from the beginning to introduce useful bacteria that can convert starch? How about sugar mashes then, would we get ethanol with sourdough starter in an anaerobic environment? Any ideas or has anyone tried this?
    • ant chia
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2012
        before introducing this to a mash, do one to two over night cultures. IE: take your sourdough and put a thumb nails worth in a 500 ml sugar wash of 90 - 95 f , aerate over night and see how it smells in the am, then take 100 ml of your first was and put it in a 900 ml sugar wash and aerate over night again. now you have a yeast batch for your mash. just my thoughts