Whey Spirit

  • robertstam2000
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2002
      Has anyone tried using commercially produced whey spirit (96%
      Ethanol), adding fruit or herbs and spices, and redistilling that.
      I'm thinking that you should be able to use the whole run as
      the 'wash' is already clean of fusel oils, methanol, etc. and produce
      somthing akin to Gin or by adding fruit, schnapps.
      I'd be really interested in any feedback from people who have tried
      this, the results, and if you feel like it, some recipe guidelines.

      Cheers, Rob
    • cornfed62
      Message 2 of 6 , May 5, 2002
        What is "Whey Spirit"? I didnt find a result for that during a web
        search for it.

        I did find reference to a man named Murtagh who is a traveling
        consultant for the commercial distilling industry and says he can
        make pure ethanol from milk products. He has a text book summarized
        online.

        http://www.distill.com/murtagh/textbook.html

        I imagine that http://www.distill.com/ is the root URL for a list of
        other distilling related subjects.

        --- In Distillers@y..., "robertstam2000" <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
        > Has anyone tried using commercially produced whey spirit (96%
        > Ethanol), adding fruit or herbs and spices, and redistilling that.
        > I'm thinking that you should be able to use the whole run as
        > the 'wash' is already clean of fusel oils, methanol, etc. and
        produce
        > somthing akin to Gin or by adding fruit, schnapps.
        > I'd be really interested in any feedback from people who have tried
        > this, the results, and if you feel like it, some recipe guidelines.
        >
        > Cheers, Rob
      • robertstam2000
        Message 3 of 6 , May 5, 2002
          Whey Spirit is produced from whey, a by-product of the cheese
          making/dairy industry. It is relatively cheap and easy to get if you
          have a licence. It is basically just a nuetral spirit, tasteless,
          clear, and 96% Alc v/v.

          --- In Distillers@y..., "cornfed62" <cornfed15@h...> wrote:
          > What is "Whey Spirit"? I didnt find a result for that during a web
          > search for it.
          >
          > I did find reference to a man named Murtagh who is a traveling
          > consultant for the commercial distilling industry and says he can
          > make pure ethanol from milk products. He has a text book
          summarized
          > online.
          >
          > http://www.distill.com/murtagh/textbook.html
          >
          > I imagine that http://www.distill.com/ is the root URL for a list
          of
          > other distilling related subjects.
          >

          > --- In Distillers@y..., "robertstam2000" <Robert.Stam@b...> wrote:
          > > Has anyone tried using commercially produced whey spirit (96%
          > > Ethanol), adding fruit or herbs and spices, and redistilling
          that.
          > > I'm thinking that you should be able to use the whole run as
          > > the 'wash' is already clean of fusel oils, methanol, etc. and
          > produce
          > > somthing akin to Gin or by adding fruit, schnapps.
          > > I'd be really interested in any feedback from people who have
          tried
          > > this, the results, and if you feel like it, some recipe
          guidelines.

          > > Cheers, Rob
        • arf60152
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2002
            Just found this group and this thread really jumped out at me.

            I make cheese and get very dejected over having to dump the whey
            which contains all the sugar, down the drain. People are constantly
            asking what can be done with it and there really is no good answer
            unless you have pigs.

            I wonder what the gravity of the whey is as it never occurred to me
            to measure it.

            I will find out on the next batch.

            js

            PHOTO OF THE WEEK http://user.mc.net/arf/weekly.htm
            HOME: Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Sausage, Videos http://user.mc.net/arf
          • Pete Sayers
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6, 2002
              In order to ferment whey, you apparently need a special yeast. Perhaps some
              one knows which yeast will do the job.
              Pete
              > Just found this group and this thread really jumped out at me.
              >
              > I make cheese and get very dejected over having to dump the whey
              > which contains all the sugar, down the drain. People are constantly
              > asking what can be done with it and there really is no good answer
              > unless you have pigs.
              >
              > I wonder what the gravity of the whey is as it never occurred to me
              > to measure it.
              >
              > I will find out on the next batch.
              >
              > js
              >
              > PHOTO OF THE WEEK http://user.mc.net/arf/weekly.htm