Re: Bird Watchers Recipe Fail

  • John S. Thomas
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 5, 2012
      Hi All,

      A conical fermenter is great because it gives you the ability to dump the dead yeast cels daily. The poop collects at the apex of the cone. You can see my web sight www.minibrew.com for pictures. George Fix, a great beer writer, told me once, "Great beer makes great whiskey." Unfortunately he passed away before he got into writing about the good stuff.

      Sent from my iPad

      John S. Thomas
    • made_it_myself
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2012
        Is this the recipe?

        3 cups tomato paste

        Juice 3 lemons

        Approx. 18 kg sugar

        225 grams fresh regular bakers yeast.

        water up to 80 litres.

        I only mention this because you used the word "turbo" in your post and I think an assumption was made.
        I do agree though that you should try EC-118 instead of bakers yeast.
        That should give you a cleaner wash, also of course the cuts are important and the more practice you get, the better the results.
      • David Arnold
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 8, 2012

          Did you use a carbon filter at all?

          I double distill, using conservative cuts from a column, dilute back to 40%, run it through a clean activated carbon column, and get the smoothest, absolutely wonderful “shine” that anyone I have shared it with can remember. It tastes cleaner than anything I can buy at the store.

          I redistill about 30+-% of each run in my next first run.

          Hope this gives you some ideas to gain higher purity.