apple ferment

  • framers8
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5 7:34 AM
      Hello to all, I have a copper valved reflux still with a 2" column packed with stainless steel scrubbers. I have just removed the scrubbers to clean the still with vinegar & salt mixture. My new question is this, I have 12 gals of apple juice fermenting and I am wondering if the finished product would have more of an apple flavor if I run it without the scrubbers and the reflux ? I have run apple juice before with the scrubbers and reflux and it yielded a slight apple taste. I have also thought about just doing that again but cutting it with unfermented apple juice to add the flavor. What do you all think??

      Joe Framer
    • frank prah
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10 3:02 PM

        Hi,

        It sounds like you will be making "apple pie" a favorite southern drink.

        Frank

        "Always laugh when you can.  It is cheap medicine."  Lord Byron

        On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM, framers8 <framers8@...> wrote:
        Hello to all,   I have a copper valved reflux still with a 2" column packed with stainless steel scrubbers. I have just removed the scrubbers to clean the still with vinegar & salt mixture. My new question is this, I have 12 gals of apple juice fermenting and I am wondering if the finished product would have more of an apple flavor if I run it without the scrubbers and the reflux ? I have run apple juice before with the scrubbers and reflux and it yielded a slight apple taste. I have also thought about just doing that again but cutting it with unfermented apple juice to add the flavor. What do you all think??

                                                Joe Framer

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
            Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 11 1:34 AM
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "framers8" <framers8@...> wrote:

          > Hello to all, I have a copper valved reflux still with a 2" column packed with stainless steel scrubbers. I have just removed the scrubbers to clean the still with vinegar & salt mixture. My new question is this, I have 12 gals of apple juice fermenting and I am wondering if the finished product would have more of an apple flavor if I run it without the scrubbers and the reflux ? I have run apple juice before with the scrubbers and reflux and it yielded a slight apple taste. I have also thought about just doing that again but cutting it with unfermented apple juice to add the flavor. What do you all think??
          >
          > Joe Framer

          With scrubbers the flavor gets more concentrated requiring very careful cuts. On the other hand you get higher ABV and less of those very high boiling point congeners. It's up to you to decide which way you want it. Personally I like to use scrubbers but run with little reflux at the beginning and then lots of reflux for the tails cut.

          Slainte, Riku