Water Ph for mash/spirits, effects of high levels

  • knstrt
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
      On a community water system, just tested it myself with a result of 165 ppm. Needless to say I don't drink the stuff, and rarely even use it for ice. I don't want to have to buy distilled water for fermentation, or spend extra money on water purification system, but may be where I am headed in the end.

      Does the levels of solids have a negative effect on the mash or the spirits?

      I wondered if any of you have/had similar problems & what your solutions were. I figure that heavy a water can't be good for fermentation or the end product?
      Thanks
    • ant chia

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 15, 2012
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, ant chia <achiappetta512@...> wrote:

          > I will say that it does affect the gravity and in the end the fermentation.
          > we filter out water before we cook just to keep the high mineral content
          > down. we cook about a thousand gallons per day of fermentation and we use a
          > whole house filter @ 25 microns, 50 gpm at 70 psi. will have to say it is
          > nice to have a 2 in water main. only takes about 20 minute to fill the
          > kettles.

          I'm wondering just what type of disolved minerals are being filtered @ 25 microns?
          Wouldn't there be a need for some type of ion exchange to do it?
          Regards,
          rjm
        • ant chia
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15, 2012
            sorry i missed a . in my figure 2.5 microns. and mostly hard water deposits and iron. where we are at this is an issue

            On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:42 AM, rjmarotta <rmarotta@...> wrote:

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, ant chia <achiappetta512@...> wrote:

            > I will say that it does affect the gravity and in the end the fermentation.
            > we filter out water before we cook just to keep the high mineral content
            > down. we cook about a thousand gallons per day of fermentation and we use a
            > whole house filter @ 25 microns, 50 gpm at 70 psi. will have to say it is
            > nice to have a 2 in water main. only takes about 20 minute to fill the
            > kettles.

            I'm wondering just what type of disolved minerals are being filtered @ 25 microns?
            Wouldn't there be a need for some type of ion exchange to do it?
            Regards,
            rjm

          • Fred Arena
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22, 2012
              yes high ph. is not good for better tasting spirits..you can get distillled water for 89 cent at drug stors..and then all you nead is a little water hardner..and add some you will have to look up. to see how much..i dont rember off hand per gal..and that will make it like lime stream water...hpoe this helps

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 23, 2012
                i think it is not good for both of them...i used distilled water in my mash with the water hardner and we made a real good batch..

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 25, 2012
                  It's probably pretty close to brewing water requirements...my reccomendation is to buy RO (reverse osmosis) water from the grocery store;  it's typically ~0.40/gal, and use it to blend down your water to more acceptable levels.

                  But as long as your pH is good, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Yeast is incredibly tolerant to hardness (Dublin water, for instance, is something like 400 PPM.  So they make stouts :p)  The yeasties do need some micronutrients found in regular water though, so don't use exclusively distilled/RO water or you'll hurt the ferment.

                  The general rule for brewing, is if it tastes good--use it.  If not, then find a new source!

                  HTH,
                  Eddie