Re: Bird Watchers Recipe Fail

  • DAVE DELANEY
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
      I agree with the Lavalin yeast use. I have used it many times and it does produce a better wash. It produces less yeast "poop" than the turbo yeasts so there is less carry over.

    • John S. Thomas
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 5, 2012
        Hi All,

        A conical fermenter is great because it gives you the ability to dump the dead yeast cels daily. The poop collects at the apex of the cone. You can see my web sight www.minibrew.com for pictures. George Fix, a great beer writer, told me once, "Great beer makes great whiskey." Unfortunately he passed away before he got into writing about the good stuff.

        Sent from my iPad

        John S. Thomas
      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2012
          What kind of still are you using and what cuts did you take? If you look at tasteless stuff you really should consider using a column still and doing conservative cuts and not running too fast.

          Slainte, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "knstrt" <knstrt@...> wrote:

          > Just running my first wash using the Bird Watchers Recipe. I am very disappointed. Followed recipe to the letter. It tastes as bad as all the rest of my cooking's. Corn meal, turbo yeasts, etc. Nothing neutral about it! I have some more batches settling, hope they turn out better. When I was stationed in NC, ran out of beer one night at friend of friends house, he offered up some shine in a quart jar, said take a big swallow, I did, went down like water, no taste at all. Hit my stomach & exploded. Warmth all through my midsection & a nice buzz too. That is what I am looking for. I may just go back to buying vodka, as much as I hate the taste. Be cheaper & less hassle.

        • made_it_myself
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 7, 2012
            Is this the recipe?

            3 cups tomato paste

            Juice 3 lemons

            Approx. 18 kg sugar

            225 grams fresh regular bakers yeast.

            water up to 80 litres.

            I only mention this because you used the word "turbo" in your post and I think an assumption was made.
            I do agree though that you should try EC-118 instead of bakers yeast.
            That should give you a cleaner wash, also of course the cuts are important and the more practice you get, the better the results.
          • David Arnold
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 8, 2012

              Did you use a carbon filter at all?

              I double distill, using conservative cuts from a column, dilute back to 40%, run it through a clean activated carbon column, and get the smoothest, absolutely wonderful “shine” that anyone I have shared it with can remember. It tastes cleaner than anything I can buy at the store.

              I redistill about 30+-% of each run in my next first run.

              Hope this gives you some ideas to gain higher purity.