Bird Watchers Recipe Fail

  • knstrt
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2012
      Just running my first wash using the Bird Watchers Recipe. I am very disappointed. Followed recipe to the letter. It tastes as bad as all the rest of my cooking's. Corn meal, turbo yeasts, etc. Nothing neutral about it! I have some more batches settling, hope they turn out better. When I was stationed in NC, ran out of beer one night at friend of friends house, he offered up some shine in a quart jar, said take a big swallow, I did, went down like water, no taste at all. Hit my stomach & exploded. Warmth all through my midsection & a nice buzz too. That is what I am looking for. I may just go back to buying vodka, as much as I hate the taste. Be cheaper & less hassle.
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2012
        Just a guess, you are consistently using an awful-tasting turbo. While some turbos appear to taste less awful, many of them make terrible-tasting wash, which is one reason many turbo users also use activated carbon filtering to lose the turbo taste. If you're using turbo "yeast", there's also the possibility that you're trying for a very high-ABV wash, like 18 or 20%. That's another great way to make bad-tasting wash while torturing yeast.

        Next time, try using Lalvin EC-1118 yeast in a wash with a potential ABV of 14%, and see if the bad taste goes away.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "knstrt" <knstrt@...> wrote:

        > Just running my first wash using the Bird Watchers Recipe. I am very disappointed. Followed recipe to the letter. It tastes as bad as all the rest of my cooking's. Corn meal, turbo yeasts, etc. Nothing neutral about it! I have some more batches settling, hope they turn out better. When I was stationed in NC, ran out of beer one night at friend of friends house, he offered up some shine in a quart jar, said take a big swallow, I did, went down like water, no taste at all. Hit my stomach & exploded. Warmth all through my midsection & a nice buzz too. That is what I am looking for. I may just go back to buying vodka, as much as I hate the taste. Be cheaper & less hassle.

      • DAVE DELANEY
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
          I agree with the Lavalin yeast use. I have used it many times and it does produce a better wash. It produces less yeast "poop" than the turbo yeasts so there is less carry over.

        • John S. Thomas
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2012
            Hi All,

            A conical fermenter is great because it gives you the ability to dump the dead yeast cels daily. The poop collects at the apex of the cone. You can see my web sight www.minibrew.com for pictures. George Fix, a great beer writer, told me once, "Great beer makes great whiskey." Unfortunately he passed away before he got into writing about the good stuff.

            Sent from my iPad

            John S. Thomas
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 7, 2012
              What kind of still are you using and what cuts did you take? If you look at tasteless stuff you really should consider using a column still and doing conservative cuts and not running too fast.

              Slainte, Riku

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "knstrt" <knstrt@...> wrote:

              > Just running my first wash using the Bird Watchers Recipe. I am very disappointed. Followed recipe to the letter. It tastes as bad as all the rest of my cooking's. Corn meal, turbo yeasts, etc. Nothing neutral about it! I have some more batches settling, hope they turn out better. When I was stationed in NC, ran out of beer one night at friend of friends house, he offered up some shine in a quart jar, said take a big swallow, I did, went down like water, no taste at all. Hit my stomach & exploded. Warmth all through my midsection & a nice buzz too. That is what I am looking for. I may just go back to buying vodka, as much as I hate the taste. Be cheaper & less hassle.

            • made_it_myself
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 7, 2012
                Is this the recipe?

                3 cups tomato paste

                Juice 3 lemons

                Approx. 18 kg sugar

                225 grams fresh regular bakers yeast.

                water up to 80 litres.

                I only mention this because you used the word "turbo" in your post and I think an assumption was made.
                I do agree though that you should try EC-118 instead of bakers yeast.
                That should give you a cleaner wash, also of course the cuts are important and the more practice you get, the better the results.
              • David Arnold
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 8, 2012

                  Did you use a carbon filter at all?

                  I double distill, using conservative cuts from a column, dilute back to 40%, run it through a clean activated carbon column, and get the smoothest, absolutely wonderful “shine” that anyone I have shared it with can remember. It tastes cleaner than anything I can buy at the store.

                  I redistill about 30+-% of each run in my next first run.

                  Hope this gives you some ideas to gain higher purity.