Re: Extension

  • harisaki2004
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 18 3:00 AM
      Hi,
      Try a winemaking supplier or stainless fabricator. Hari.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

      > Hi Guys, I am in the UK where there is not a great market for this type of product at the moment, where could I buy a 2" (or 54mm) extension for my "water purification" still?
      > I would like to get an extra two feet or so with a tri-clamp ferrule at each end, I don't mind Stainless Steel or Copper, but I don't know where to look.
      > Any suggestions would be welcome.

    • baddriver13
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 18 4:17 AM
        Hi,
        You could make your own by forming an "Easy Flange" at each end of a length of 54mm copper pipe and then source the clamps.

        Or you could look at a StillDragon product here:- http://www.stilldragon.com/triclamp-pipe.html

        If you wish to take the latter route, you'll have to contact Fester and he'll sell/supply/ship direct from China.

        Shout if you need more links ;o)

        HTH.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

        > Hi Guys, I am in the UK where there is not a great market for this type of product at the moment, where could I buy a 2" (or 54mm) extension for my "water purification" still?
        > I would like to get an extra two feet or so with a tri-clamp ferrule at each end, I don't mind Stainless Steel or Copper, but I don't know where to look.
        > Any suggestions would be welcome.

      • PhilipWilson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18 4:27 AM
          Google "54mm copper pipe" and you'll find lots of UK suppliers. I can recommend www.bes.co.uk, but they only sell 3m lengths.

          I bought stainless steel tri-clamp ferrules and clamps from a US website and paid silly postage, but at the time I couldn't find a reasonable UK alternative.

          I silver-soldered the stainless steel ferrules to the copper pipe with a high-temperature (high silver) solder. It's more or less like brazing, you can do it with MAPP gas. Be sure to use a flux suitable for stainless steel.

          Tri-clamp gaskets only last a few runs in my experience. I bought a sheet of nitrile rubber, I think 1.5mm thick, and cut my own now.

          Good luck!

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "made_it_myself" <doctorlawrencebrown@...> wrote:

          > Hi Guys, I am in the UK where there is not a great market for this type of product at the moment, where could I buy a 2" (or 54mm) extension for my "water purification" still?
          > I would like to get an extra two feet or so with a tri-clamp ferrule at each end, I don't mind Stainless Steel or Copper, but I don't know where to look.
          > Any suggestions would be welcome.

        • made_it_myself
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 18 12:45 PM
            I don't have a problem getting the pipe, a local scrap yard gets it all the time, my problem is with the ferrules.
            I don't have the tools anymore to make them myself or to join the SS ones to my column. Thats why I wanted to buy one.
            I agree, the postage from the USA is silly expensive unless you can get it into a flat rate box.