Re: How do I use this site?

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2012
      I'm not sure what link you used or what your database problem was, but I can answer your fermentation and terminology questions.

      Racking is siphoning the relatively clear liquid off a fermentation, leaving the "trub", that gunk on the bottom, behind.

      The only context I know using stacking, is where you multiply a sugar/turbo recipe by some number, as if you put twice as much sugar, water, and turbo in one container. Because of the odd way turbo (it's not just yeast) works, such a stacked fermentation can overheat and die.

      "Stall" may refer to a frementation that has "stuck" (in more common terms), and has not completed fermenting all the sugars in the wash.

      When you say, " stops fermenting too early", how did you determine that was the case, by tasting for sweetness, or by hydrometer reading? What you do to start a stuck ferment, if that's what you have, depends mostly on what caused the ferment to stop. That can be out of sugar, lack of yeast nutrient, out-of-range temperature stopping or killing the yeast, too much sugar exploding the yeast cells, the accumulation of more ethanol than that yeast can tolerate, or very rarely out-of-range pH.

      Do you have a starting specific gravity, and a current specific gravity? What, and in what amounts, did you put in your wash?

      All of this will help us zero in on what your solution needs to be.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "knstrt" <knstrt@...> wrote:

      > I was attempting to go to the Wiki database using the link the guy posted, which I copied & pasted to my browse which took me to a site that says I must Activate Web Access. Which has a block for me to enter the email address I used when I registered, which I did & clicked enter & it just keeps coming back to the same page.
      > Down below that it lists some more of my email addresses and it says:
      >
      > Note: the following email addresses are also listed in your Yahoo! account but are not subscribed to this group. To make additional subscriptions to the group new_distillers with one of the following addresses, do not use the form on this page. Instead, send a separate subscription request email from one of these addresses to: new_distillers-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Now, below that it lists the email address I used to register with this group. So, I followed the instructions & separate subscription request email from my PRIMARY email address to the address listed. I still haven't heard anything.
      >
      > So I look at the Messages, I get cross eyed, because I AM a fairly new distiller, and I am trying to learn stuff, but since I don't know how to word the questions properly, for instance I am trying to find some definitions of terms I keep coming across, such as rack, stack, stall. And would like to know that if my mash stops fermenting too early is there a method used to restart it? (If that is the right question?)
      > That's why I wanted to access the Database, thought I might search around there a bit, and not have to clog up the messages with simple questions that should be answered somewhere.

    • Ion Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 11, 2012
        If you look at the bottom of this site you will see a web site < homedistiller.org> . Click on it ,
        you should get many of your questions answered there. You will also find reference to other sites and good books on the subject . Good luck.

        Ion