Re: Best Neutral Wash

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
      Hi Patch,

      I don't do lots of sugar washes, but the MUM wash works so well that I have no desire to change it. The JEM wash sounds like it should be even better, but I haven't felt the need to try it.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

      > Hi there to all stillers. Whats everyone using as their neutral wash at present. Many neutral washes to choose from. Just wanted to get the concensus on what everyone thinks is the best Neutral Wash out there.
      > Regards
      > Patch

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
        Alcotec 24 when available.

        Slainte, Riku

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

        > Hi there to all stillers. Whats everyone using as their neutral wash at present. Many neutral washes to choose from. Just wanted to get the concensus on what everyone thinks is the best Neutral Wash out there.
        > Regards
        > Patch

      • frank prah
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012

          Hi,

          Can you tell me more about the MUM and JEM recipe?

          Thanks,

          Frank

          "Always laugh when you can.  It is cheap medicine."Lord Byron

          On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

          Hi Patch,

          I don't do lots of sugar washes, but the MUM wash works so well that I have no desire to change it. The JEM wash sounds like it should be even better, but I haven't felt the need to try it.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

          > Hi there to all stillers. Whats everyone using as their neutral wash at present. Many neutral washes to choose from. Just wanted to get the concensus on what everyone thinks is the best Neutral Wash out there.
          > Regards
          > Patch

        • Ed Barcik
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012

            HFCS is my favorite, clean product, never strip.

          • David Eastham
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 18, 2012
              Have used vodka star and is very clean I only got 400ml heads and 500ml tails from a 25l wash, with a 74% of total alcohol as middles. If you're willing to have a slight taste you could get more than this out of the vodka star with less heads and tails. I reckon 80% good stuff from the total alcohol is possible with very little after taste. Am going to push it further next time. Got the PDA1 with column extension take off at 600ml per hour.
              Dave E
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, frank prah <frankjprah@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Can you tell me more about the MUM and JEM recipe?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Frank
              >

              > "Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine."Lord Byron
              >

              > On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi Patch,
              > >
              > > I don't do lots of sugar washes, but the MUM wash works so well that I
              > > have no desire to change it. The JEM wash sounds like it should be even
              > > better, but I haven't felt the need to try it.
              > >
              > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller *Making Fine Spirits*<http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
              > >

              > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi there to all stillers. Whats everyone using as their neutral wash at
              > > present. Many neutral washes to choose from. Just wanted to get the
              > > concensus on what everyone thinks is the best Neutral Wash out there.
              > > > Regards
              > > > Patch

            • thepatchworkdoll
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 20, 2012
                HI Frank
                Thanks for that. Sorry but I do not like using turbos. Vodka Star £2.88 Allinsons Bread Yeast 64P per 125 grams works realy well. Found a realy good neutral recipe.
                10kgs sugar
                1 kg Malted Barley
                2 Tspns Epsom Salts
                125 grams bread yeast
                50 ltrs water.
                SG approx 1080
                FG approx 0.990
                Fermented out steadily in 7 days (realy impressed)
                Still to run though. Will keep you all posted.
                Regards
                Patch

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <planetgong0@...> wrote:

                > Have used vodka star and is very clean I only got 400ml heads and 500ml tails from a 25l wash, with a 74% of total alcohol as middles. If you're willing to have a slight taste you could get more than this out of the vodka star with less heads and tails. I reckon 80% good stuff from the total alcohol is possible with very little after taste. Am going to push it further next time. Got the PDA1 with column extension take off at 600ml per hour.
                > Dave E
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, frank prah <frankjprah@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi,
                > >
                > > Can you tell me more about the MUM and JEM recipe?
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Frank
                > >

                > > "Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine."Lord Byron
                > >

                > > On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@> wrote:
                > >

                > > > Hi Patch,
                > > >
                > > > I don't do lots of sugar washes, but the MUM wash works so well that I
                > > > have no desire to change it. The JEM wash sounds like it should be even
                > > > better, but I haven't felt the need to try it.
                > > >
                > > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller *Making Fine Spirits*<http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
                > > >

                > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@>

                > > > present. Many neutral washes to choose from. Just wanted to get the
                > > > concensus on what everyone thinks is the best Neutral Wash out there.

              • David Eastham
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 20, 2012
                  Let us know the % of good stuff u get from this,its what matters
                  Cheers dave E

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:

                  > HI Frank
                  > Thanks for that. Sorry but I do not like using turbos. Vodka Star £2.88 Allinsons Bread Yeast 64P per 125 grams works realy well. Found a realy good neutral recipe.
                  > 10kgs sugar
                  > 1 kg Malted Barley
                  > 2 Tspns Epsom Salts
                  > 125 grams bread yeast
                  > 50 ltrs water.
                  > SG approx 1080
                  > FG approx 0.990
                  > Fermented out steadily in 7 days (realy impressed)
                  > Still to run though. Will keep you all posted.
                  > Regards
                  > Patch
                  >

                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <planetgong0@> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Have used vodka star and is very clean I only got 400ml heads and 500ml tails from a 25l wash, with a 74% of total alcohol as middles. If you're willing to have a slight taste you could get more than this out of the vodka star with less heads and tails. I reckon 80% good stuff from the total alcohol is possible with very little after taste. Am going to push it further next time. Got the PDA1 with column extension take off at 600ml per hour.
                  > > Dave E
                  > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, frank prah <frankjprah@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi,
                  > > >
                  > > > Can you tell me more about the MUM and JEM recipe?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > >
                  > > > Frank

                • frank prah
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 21, 2012

                    Hi,

                    Thank you for the information.  I am new to this but my heritage goes back to the whiskey rebellion in Pittsburgh.

                    On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM, thepatchworkdoll <peter.coleman20@...> wrote:
                    HI Frank
                    Thanks for that.  Sorry but I do not like using turbos.  Vodka Star £2.88  Allinsons Bread Yeast 64P per 125 grams works realy well.  Found a realy good neutral recipe.
                    10kgs sugar
                    1 kg Malted Barley
                    2 Tspns Epsom Salts
                    125 grams bread yeast
                    50 ltrs water.
                    SG approx 1080
                    FG approx 0.990
                    Fermented out steadily in 7 days (realy impressed)
                    Still to run though.  Will keep you all posted.
                    Regards
                    Patch

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "David Eastham" <planetgong0@...> wrote:

                    > Have used vodka star and is very clean I only got 400ml heads and 500ml tails from a 25l wash, with a 74% of total alcohol as middles. If you're willing to have a slight taste you could get more than this out of the vodka star with less heads and tails. I reckon 80% good stuff from the total alcohol is possible with very little after taste. Am going to push it further next time. Got the PDA1 with column extension take off at 600ml per hour.
                    > Dave E
                    > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, frank prah <frankjprah@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi,
                    > >
                    > > Can you tell me more about the MUM and JEM recipe?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Frank
                    > >

                    > > "Always laugh when you can.  It is cheap medicine."Lord Byron
                    > >

                    > > On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > > Hi Patch,
                    > > >
                    > > > I don't do lots of sugar washes, but the MUM wash works so well that I
                    > > > have no desire to change it. The JEM wash sounds like it should be even
                    > > > better, but I haven't felt the need to try it.
                    > > >
                    > > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller *Making Fine Spirits*<http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepatchworkdoll" <peter.coleman20@>

                    > > > present. Many neutral washes to choose from. Just wanted to get the
                    > > > concensus on what everyone thinks is the best Neutral Wash out there.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                        Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                        Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • thepatchworkdoll
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 25, 2012
                      Hi Dave
                      Stripped the wash on Monday. Watered down to 40% got 16 litres.
                      Ran it in my VM still last night. 16 litres x 40% / 96% = approx 6660
                      Fores 150mls approx 2%
                      Heads 1000mls approx 15%
                      Mid 4700mls approx 71%
                      Lost 810mls approx 12%