Re: Soxhlet Extractors & Rotary Evaporators

  • snoozer219
    Message 1 of 20 , May 15, 2012
      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Timothy C Smoth <timothyc.smith@...> wrote:

      > My buddy used a cold finger set up that had food grade antifreeze running throughout it. It was chilled using a setup almost like an ice machine.
      >
      > Sent from Tim's iPhone

      Youve pricked my interest there about that process. Id be interested to hear more!
    • White Bear
      Message 2 of 20 , May 15, 2012
        Friends-
          My Uncle use to test the ABV of his stripping run by collecting 5 drops of distillate on a small flat piece of metal such as a canning jar flat.  He would set it to flame and after it burned out, tip the flat and count the drops that drip off.
          QUESTION:  would this be a reliable test for ABV?  If so, why or why not.
        Thanks
        White Bear
      • Bryan Bornais
        Message 3 of 20 , May 15, 2012
          Best thing to do would be to take a sample (enough to fill an alcoholometer jar). Experiment with number of drops, and test out your observations against the true reading on your alcoholometer. It may be that it is consistent enough to give you a ball park idea of where you are in the run. Thanks for sharing this idea.

          Message 4 of 20 , May 16, 2012
            It's been a long time since I saw it. But I think it had some coils running inside of the chiller and a pump to circulate the anti freeze. He was using some kind of plastic hose to connect everything. I would think stainless tubing would be the way to go if you could work it in.
            The food grade antifreeze was purple. But I don't think it was the RV anti freeze. That's non toxic though.
            I'll bet you could find a laboratory setup on line. I've never looked.

            Sent from Tim's iPhone