Re: Soxhlet Extractors & Rotary Evaporators

  • Timothy C Smoth
    Message 1 of 20 , May 14, 2012
      My buddy used a cold finger set up that had food grade antifreeze running throughout it. It was chilled using a setup almost like an ice machine.

      Sent from Tim's iPhone
    • snoozer219
      Message 2 of 20 , May 15, 2012
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Timothy C Smoth <timothyc.smith@...> wrote:

        > My buddy used a cold finger set up that had food grade antifreeze running throughout it. It was chilled using a setup almost like an ice machine.
        >
        > Sent from Tim's iPhone

        Youve pricked my interest there about that process. Id be interested to hear more!
      • bob@4agoodauction.com
        Message 3 of 20 , May 15, 2012

          3 Large barrels (99 Francois Freres Tonnellerie, St Romain Cote D’ Or, France, T, MT, Qualite CTB Certifiee no 1 Fot de Tradition Francaise). A picture can be found at http://www.4agoodauction.com/4a/current/mainpage.htm  There is supposed to be one more of these barrels coming in this afternoon.  Does anybody on the list have an idea of the value for a barrel? They look to be lightly charred on the inside. I don’t write very often and mostly lurk BUT this looks like it might be interesting. They look and I am guessing to be about 40 to 50 gallons.

          Bob C

        • White Bear
          Message 4 of 20 , May 15, 2012
            Friends-
              My Uncle use to test the ABV of his stripping run by collecting 5 drops of distillate on a small flat piece of metal such as a canning jar flat.  He would set it to flame and after it burned out, tip the flat and count the drops that drip off.
              QUESTION:  would this be a reliable test for ABV?  If so, why or why not.
            Thanks
            White Bear
          • Bryan Bornais
            Message 5 of 20 , May 15, 2012
              Best thing to do would be to take a sample (enough to fill an alcoholometer jar). Experiment with number of drops, and test out your observations against the true reading on your alcoholometer. It may be that it is consistent enough to give you a ball park idea of where you are in the run. Thanks for sharing this idea.

              Message 6 of 20 , May 16, 2012
                It's been a long time since I saw it. But I think it had some coils running inside of the chiller and a pump to circulate the anti freeze. He was using some kind of plastic hose to connect everything. I would think stainless tubing would be the way to go if you could work it in.
                The food grade antifreeze was purple. But I don't think it was the RV anti freeze. That's non toxic though.
                I'll bet you could find a laboratory setup on line. I've never looked.

                Sent from Tim's iPhone