200 Litre sugar recipe

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2002
      Hi all, I have this plastic 200LT drum sitting in the garage from home brew
      beer days (bottle cleaner) and it has been sitting there taking up space. As
      the ambient temperature is cooling off in these parts the thought struck me
      about making up a sugar wash in it. I was thinking about a 150LT wash with
      48 KG of sugar and 6 packets of Turbo Extra. The drum has had the top cut
      off, but I still have the lid so I could tape it on top to re-seal it. Add
      an airlock or 2 and hey presto I'm in business.

      Is there anything different I should do or be aware of during the ferment
      cycle as compared to a normal 25lt sugar wash?

      Is this sugar yeast ratio ok or do I need to adjust it any? As I have been
      told by a source that I don't need as much yeast, only 4 packets needed?

      Given that I would aerate the initial wash when pitching the yeast and
      probably at the 24hr mark just to get the yeast growing, is there any need
      to stir the wash during the ferment stage?

      What sort of ambient temperatures (no air conditioning so late teens Celsius
      or early 20's) should I operate this in, given the temperature inside the
      drum would rise significantly during fermentation?

      How long should I leave it after fermentation has reached 990 for the yeast
      to settle out? Would time to settle be better here or should I use some #
      packets? of Turbo clear?

      People's thoughts and experiences on this would be extremely appreciated.

      Yours' in Spirit!

      Robert

    • Rev. David M. Cunningham
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2002
        On Thu, 2 May 2002 23:39:55 +1000
        "Robert N" <dinks_c@...> wrote:

        RN> Hi all, I have this plastic 200LT drum . . . I was thinking about a 150LT wash with
        RN> 48 KG of sugar and 6 packets of Turbo Extra. The drum has had the top cut
        RN> off, but I still have the lid so I could tape it on top to re-seal it. Add
        RN> an airlock or 2 and hey presto I'm in business.

        Ok, ussualy you would put down 8kg and 1 pack of Turbo per 25l. So with that in mind, your figures sound about right since you are looking to do about 6 times the "regular" ammount.

        RN> Given that I would aerate the initial wash when pitching the yeast and
        RN> probably at the 24hr mark just to get the yeast growing, is there any need
        RN> to stir the wash during the ferment stage?

        Well, normally it is recommended to aerate your was for 30 seconds per liter of wash. With the amount that you have here, that would mean that you would have to aearte for around 75 min.

        Rev. Cunningham

        P.S. Sorry for my spelling/grammer/etc. I have a new e-mail client and I don't have spellcheck. I also don't have my standard signature.
      • uselessaussiedistiller
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 23, 2005
          hiya

          a simple cheap way to ease your mind is to buy a temperature tolerant
          turbo - they cost the same, and sometimes cheaper, than the normal
          alcotec turbo anyway - which can happily ferment up to 40 celcius

          i have seen it ferment 50L of an 8kg sucrose wash (ie 8kg white sugar
          per 25L wash) in tropical temperatures - meaning high 20 early 30s -
          without a hiccup, to completion - ie 18% final alcohol concentration,
          SG 980

          something else you could do if youre worried is to add a little extra
          water - fill the drum almost to the top (ie 8 loads worth of water),
          but add 6 loads of sugar - the decreased osmotic pressure will help
          make sure you dont concentrate sugar, alcohol and heat enough to kill
          your yeast...though you will spend more time distilling the increased
          volume

          really, you arent going to have too much trouble doing what youre
          trying to do using a temperature tolerant yeast in the temperatures
          you live in. relaaaaaaaaaaaax mate :)