Re: Potato Vodka

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012

      > Also -
      > http://tinyurl.com/7cx8est
      >
      > A recipe from Finland -
      >
      > wal

      > > Oral tradition relies on subjective observation and rarely on analysis.
      > > See also -
      > > http://tinyurl.com/2ue7u
      > >
      > > wal
      > >
      > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:

      > > > Why does one recipe suggest leaving potatoes a bit underdone while the other one says boil them until they burst? What do we gain by leaving the potatoes a bit raw, wouldn't it be easier to just overcook them in the first place? Believe it or not, with todays potato prices in here it's cheaper and much easier to do sugar mashes.
      > > >
      > > > Slainte, Riku

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
        OK, I think leaving them a bit hard helps the stepped conversion process as it does not require that much stirring when the mash does not start as a sticky goo.

        Slainte, Riku

        > Oral tradition relies on subjective observation and rarely on analysis.
        > See also -
        > http://tinyurl.com/2ue7u
        >
        > wal
        >
        > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@> wrote:

        > > > Another recipe site -
        > > >
        > > > http://tinyurl.com/7p8d9lj
        > > >
        > > > wal
        > > >

        > > Why does one recipe suggest leaving potatoes a bit underdone while the other one says boil them until they burst? What do we gain by leaving the potatoes a bit raw, wouldn't it be easier to just overcook them in the first place? Believe it or not, with todays potato prices in here it's cheaper and much easier to do sugar mashes.
        > >
        > > Slainte, Riku

      • notreally2112
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2012
          It sounds like the potatoes are normally left in the mash for fermentation and distillation. Is this correct, and is there anything that needs to be done to avoid burning the solids while distilling? I'm planning to use a gas burner to power my still.

          > Another recipe site -
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/7p8d9lj
          >
          > wal

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2012
            You could pour the mash through a sieve when you fill the boiler. That should remove any large particles that would otherwise settle in the bottom and burn. Also leaving the yeast sludge out (the last liter or so) helps. For small floating particles the rolling action of the boiling is usually enough to keep them "mashborne". I haven't tried potato mash but this works well for flour mashes.

            Slainte, Riku