Sediment/slime/contamination in my spirit

  • dydd_iau
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2012
      Hi all,

      I posted this on the other group but no leads. what do you think?

      I have a weird contamination of my spirit from my last run.

      24 hours ago i did a distillation run using my alembic pot still. I had made up
      an experimental turbo brew with sugar, honey and a handful of cloves.It had been
      fermented for a few weeks and then a couple more to settle out-no clearing
      products used. All was good, coming through at the normal 60/65% mark for a
      couple of litres. the spirit seemed pretty clean, then i noticed a hint of clove
      coming through. it was nice so i put aside a small bottle for some taste
      experiments.
      12 hours later as i rushed out to work i noticed that the bottle appeared golden
      in colour. thats weird i thought i dont remember that.
      24 hours later when i went to drink some of the said bottle, the golden colour
      had coagulated into weird orangey slime. there is now slimey orangey stuff
      settling out in the bottle. it tastes of oaty carboardy breakfast cereal (mixed with 65% booze yum).

      whats going on here? its almost like yeast has got through and is growing in the
      spirit. surely this isnt possible? is it some chemicals coming out of soloution
      in the alcohol? high amounts of fusels? are they toxic? will redistilling get
      rid of them?

      what has caused this? the only things i have done differently are the cloves and
      honey in the wash. but i suppose this is only my 3rd turbo brew-does this happen
      often with turbos?

      I have been distilling a lot of old cider into calvados, i would have thought
      that this cider was a lot more dirty, with fuesels and yeasts and so on. how
      come i didnt get anything like this?

      when i go back out to my booze lab facility am i going to find the rest of the
      run contaminated?

      OK thanks for your help guys.

      UPDATE. i have been back up the shack. the orangey slime had contaminated parts of the last run but not all. strangely the tails-where i detected more of the weird weetabix smell- seems ok.
      my latest theory is some kind of oil from the cloves has come through in soloution and then coagulated out.

      main question is wether this stuff is safe? will redistilling it get rid of the slime and flavour? i'd hate to throw anything away!

      thanks for your help