Re: Distillate pH

  • Ed Barcik
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 30, 2012

      I really know how to categorize it, kind of like drinking some grapefruit juice. It’s very clean, coming from 95-96 product and is just reduced with water to about 80 proof, just vodka. I opened a bottle of Stoli that I have and it had the same pH, so I’m lost. Maybe it’s just a bad day when that flavor hit me.

      When you say "acid burn" do you mean it tastes sour, because that's what
      excessively-low pH does to the taste of a potable liquid? I wouldn't
      call "sour" a "burn". You don't say what your product is, but if it's
      "ideal" vodka, absolutely nothing but water and ethanol, you should
      expect a pH between 7.0 and 7.9. If that's really what you want, throw a
      lot of sodium bicarbonate into your spirit and re-distill to get rid of
      the solids.

      If, on the other hand, you are making a brandy, rum, whiskey, or any
      other "flavored" spirit, you need to know that much of that good flavor
      comes from esters, which are always in an equilibrium reaction with
      acids and ethanol, so "flavor" equates to some acid.

      I've never tested any of my finished spirits for pH, but I do know that
      my lacto-soured corn mash gets way below your pH 4.9, and that doesn't
      burn me at all. I think I'd look at my heads cut, if I were you.