need major help

  • gerardzweier
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10 8:52 PM
      OK, I'm very new to this but im very anxious to learn. I bought an old pot still from a family friend, read a bunch of info on multiple web site and tried to make liquor. I've notice a trend in the information site where nothing is complete. Nothing I have found gives you an A to Z instruction book on how its done, a "Distillation for dummies".
      Soon my first attempt I failed miserably, to the point of not even producing alcohol. But did make a hell of a mess in my garage and wasted a perfectly good Saturday. Since then I've done some more reading and located what seems to be a great site for information. however they mention nutrients:
      "dissolve 5 kg of sugar & 60 g of nutrients in 20 L of water"
      and I have no idea what that means.
      Can anyone tell me what that means. or more inportantlycan anyone give detailed instructions for an idiot to try distilling for the ...second time.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14 2:02 PM
        Study Mason's Introduction To Distilling...

        =============================

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gerardzweier" <gerard.zweier@...> wrote:

        > OK, I'm very new to this but im very anxious to learn. I bought an old pot still from a family friend, read a bunch of info on multiple web site and tried to make liquor. I've notice a trend in the information site where nothing is complete. Nothing I have found gives you an A to Z instruction book on how its done, a "Distillation for dummies".
        > Soon my first attempt I failed miserably, to the point of not even producing alcohol. But did make a hell of a mess in my garage and wasted a perfectly good Saturday. Since then I've done some more reading and located what seems to be a great site for information. however they mention nutrients:
        > "dissolve 5 kg of sugar & 60 g of nutrients in 20 L of water"
        > and I have no idea what that means.
        > Can anyone tell me what that means. or more inportantlycan anyone give detailed instructions for an idiot to try distilling for the ...second time.

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14 4:21 PM
          Gerard,

          When they say "nutrients" they mean the yeast nutrients that are sold in hombrew/winemaking shops. Those nutrients are mostly di-ammonium phosphate, also called DAP, and maybe some other trace nutrients. If you're not familiar with the units of that statement, kg stands for kilograms, and 1 kilogram is about 2.2 pounds, so 5 kg=11 pounds of sugar. That "60 g" is for 60 grams of nutrients, very roughly 4 tablespoonsful. The L stands for liters, which are very close to one quart, so that  20 L = 5 US gallons.

          At the risk of sounding commercial, your "A to Z instruction book" is exactly what I intended to write when I wrote "Making Fine Spirits".

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gerardzweier" <gerard.zweier@...> wrote:

          > OK, I'm very new to this but im very anxious to learn. I bought an old pot still from a family friend, read a bunch of info on multiple web site and tried to make liquor. I've notice a trend in the information site where nothing is complete. Nothing I have found gives you an A to Z instruction book on how its done, a "Distillation for dummies".
          > Soon my first attempt I failed miserably, to the point of not even producing alcohol. But did make a hell of a mess in my garage and wasted a perfectly good Saturday. Since then I've done some more reading and located what seems to be a great site for information. however they mention nutrients:
          > "dissolve 5 kg of sugar & 60 g of nutrients in 20 L of water"
          > and I have no idea what that means.
          > Can anyone tell me what that means. or more inportantlycan anyone give detailed instructions for an idiot to try distilling for the ...second time.

        • geoff burrows
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14 11:52 PM
            Remember this simple rhyme in the imperial to metric, or metric to imperial conversion:-
            Two and a quater Pounds of jam weighs about a Kilogram