2 Thermometers 1 Column

  • billyweeble
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      Greetings fellow stillers,

      My still is a design from Gert Strands website, and apparently not
      many use this style due to the complications faced while operating
      it. I think I've found a way to make the operation of this type of
      still easier. Please view the pic attached with this mail.

      I've added a thermometer just above the lower cooling pipe entering
      the column. It reads in F and my head thermometer is in C, so please
      bear with that. It cost $6 US. Depending on the accuracy of the F
      thermometer, it would seem to me that ethanol is a vapor somewhere
      around 168F. Because I've been working with C, I really don't know
      for sure. These are my notes from the first time using this method so
      far...

      Column temp 168F --- Temp at head 78.xC (slow cooling water to
      lower reflux ratio and increase output without changing column temp)
      Column temp 192F --- Temp at head drops (slow cooling water, raise
      column vapor temp and head temp)
      Column temp 202F --- End of run (temp at head rises above 80C)

      The head and column temps remained steady for about 1 1/2 hrs while I
      took off almost 1 1/2L of 90%. When the head temp dropped, Gert
      Strand said the run would be complete at that time. Instead I slowed
      the water and took off another 250ml or so of unknown quality or %
      tails into a different jar to be added to the next run.

      The column thermometer was a great addition to this still. It alerted
      me to the vapors rising so I could start the cooling water and
      stabilize the reflux sooner without the head temp soaring above the
      intended target temperature. The vapors in the column can be "seen"
      by their temp signature and the cooling water can be adjusted
      according to the head temp and output flow.

      Boiler heat can be adjusted using above factors and coolant flow rate
      in determining maximum efficiency.

      Well, whaddaya think? Will this be of any use to the N/S folks?

      OK, I don't know how to post a picture on this. The pic will follow
      on my RE: to this post. Thanks for your patience....bob....