Re: How To Make Potato Vodka

  • geoff burrows
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2012
      Hi Wal,
           Thanks just another couple of quickies.  Is that store the spuds in the fridge after you've boiled them or before?  Not that it makes much difference because they have now ceased to be the main source of sugar for the wee yeastie Beastie's as you say they're added more for nutrients and flavour.
           Second quickie what commonly available household substance could be used to convert the spud starch or is it solely a temperature conversion process?
            I.e boiled or damn near frozen. Freezing expands the water molecule so breaking down the starch cell wall I would presume and vice versa the same might apply with boiling them because water is one of the few liquids that expands when frozen and when it boils
           Then again do I yet again have the wrong end of the stick on this conversion process thingy and is it back to read, read and read again.
      Geoff
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2012
        Store raw potatoes below 8 deg. Celsius. to get some sugar. Raw potatoes do contain enzymes, but potato starch walls are quite resistant to destruction when uncooked. Need to be boiled to access the starch inside the cell walls. This destroys the enzymes unfortunately. Grated raw sweet potatoes and wheat germ contain suitable enzymes for conversion. Chinese rice yeast balls will do the trick as they contain fungal enzymes. Or the Irish just throw a bag of barley in some bog water and let it sprout - undried it is green malt.
        wal