How To Make Potato Vodka

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2012
      From an Indian site!

      http://tinyurl.com/7cx8est

      wal
    • geoff burrows
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2012

        Hi Wal,

             In a poteen recipe I read years ago they boiled the potatoes and just used the boiled water surly this couldn’t be right?

             Surly to extract the most starch from the potato you would boil the by-Jesus out of them  in their jackets, Strain them keeping the water.  Cut up and completely mash the spuds to a cream  add the water back and continue to add more boiling water and keep it simmering until it’s runny enough to do a wash.  Strain, let cool to yeast temperature

        That way you get all the starch from the spud flesh.

             Or does just boiling them extract all the starch from them?  Enlighten me please I’ve often wondered about why they just use the boiled water from the spud?

        Geoff
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2012
          From what I have seen, after about 1880, sugar or treacle was used with potatoes for poitin (as malted barley went to the breweries) - the potatoes added nutrients and flavour. You can store the potatoes in a fridge (4 degrees C) to convert starch to sugars or outside in the frost. Possibly the boiled potatoes went to feed the pigs and the liquid used as a nutrient source for the yeast. Even now sugar beet pulp meant for stock feed is used for poitin!.
          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "geoff burrows" <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

          > Hi Wal,
          >
          > In a poteen recipe I read years ago they boiled the potatoes and just used the boiled water surly this couldn't be right?
          >
          > Surly to extract the most starch from the potato you would boil the by-Jesus out of them in their jackets, Strain them keeping the water. Cut up and completely mash the spuds to a cream add the water back and continue to add more boiling water and keep it simmering until it's runny enough to do a wash. Strain, let cool to yeast temperature
          >
          > That way you get all the starch from the spud flesh.
          >
          > Or does just boiling them extract all the starch from them? Enlighten me please I've often wondered about why they just use the boiled water from the spud?
          >
          > Geoff

        • geoff burrows
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2012
            Hi Wal,
                 Thanks just another couple of quickies.  Is that store the spuds in the fridge after you've boiled them or before?  Not that it makes much difference because they have now ceased to be the main source of sugar for the wee yeastie Beastie's as you say they're added more for nutrients and flavour.
                 Second quickie what commonly available household substance could be used to convert the spud starch or is it solely a temperature conversion process?
                  I.e boiled or damn near frozen. Freezing expands the water molecule so breaking down the starch cell wall I would presume and vice versa the same might apply with boiling them because water is one of the few liquids that expands when frozen and when it boils
                 Then again do I yet again have the wrong end of the stick on this conversion process thingy and is it back to read, read and read again.
            Geoff
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3, 2012
              Store raw potatoes below 8 deg. Celsius. to get some sugar. Raw potatoes do contain enzymes, but potato starch walls are quite resistant to destruction when uncooked. Need to be boiled to access the starch inside the cell walls. This destroys the enzymes unfortunately. Grated raw sweet potatoes and wheat germ contain suitable enzymes for conversion. Chinese rice yeast balls will do the trick as they contain fungal enzymes. Or the Irish just throw a bag of barley in some bog water and let it sprout - undried it is green malt.