The shape of the fermentor [was: Final SG after distillation]

  • Rev. David M Cunningham
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29 1:56 PM
      << The shape of the fermentor (height vs width) can also have an effect.
      Other friends have also found the difference between using tall fermentors
      vs wider ones - both have the same volume & temperature etc, but ending up
      at different SG's >>

      In my experience, I have found that the shorter and wider that a
      fermentation tank is the more the sugars ferment out. I have been able to
      replicate this several times, and every time when ever I split a batch and
      put 2 parts into 2 short/wide fermentation tanks and 2 parts into 2
      tall/narrow fermentation tanks, the short wide tanks always ferment the
      sugars out better resulting in a lower FG (Final Gravity). So I recommend
      that if you can, measure the SG and try spitting a batch and see which tank
      ferments out the most sugar. You will, more than likely, find that the
      short/wide tank has a lower FG than the tall/narrow one.

      The theory behind why the short/wide tanks ferment out better has something
      to do with the yeast having more "contact" with the wash. In tall/narrow
      tanks the yeast will sink to the bottom and hope that you will come along
      and stir things up. Where as in a short/wide setup the yeast is not as far
      from the wash that still has high amounts of sugar left in it.

      Unfortunately, I have not been able to keep using the short/wide
      fermentation tanks due to space limitations. Therefore I'm stuck using the
      tall/narrow tanks. When I move and get more space, I will switch back to the
      short/wide fermentations tanks so that I can get the lower FG without as
      much work.

      Your Brother in Spirit,
      David M. Cunningham
      distiller@...

      NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is
      intended by Rev. Cunningham for the use of the named individual or entity to
      which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or
      otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail
      transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or
      forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by
      telephone (collect), so that the sender's address records can be corrected.