1st time distiller seeks advice on first mash and run of a 2.5 gal. alembic

  • lostwilly929
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2012
      Hi new friends,

      I'd like to make a traditional potato vodka. Eventually developing and perfecting my skills to make it as it was before packaged yeast or refined sugar were available. But, for now, I need a starting point. I'm thinking of making a mash of boiled potatoes, malted barley and water. For yeast I want to make a starter from the mash with malt extract and a champagne yeast (suggested by clerk where I bought my supplies)and pitch it after developing for 18+/- hours.

      I guess my question is: am I reaching too far for my first try? There's a lot of experience in this crowd, hope some of you will help guide me.

      thanks,

      Willy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 28, 2012
        See messages # 913, 2063, 4196