How Hot?

  • ballard_bootlegger
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
      How many BTU's does one need to heat a 600 gallon boiler in reasonable time?
    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" <whitney@...> wrote:

        > How many BTU's does one need to heat a 600 gallon boiler in reasonable time?

        Well, yea... how hot do you want it go, and how fast? Here is some info for you... 1 BTU will raise the temperature of 1 pound of water 1 deg. F. 1 gallon weighs approx. 8 pounds. Also, 1 BTU = .29 watt hours, so you can also calculate the watt hours needed. (1 pound of water = approx. .12US gallons.
        Have fun with the math!
        (If you want to be a technonurd about this, you also have to figure in heat losses from the boiler and heating devices.) I need a drink.
      • White Bear
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
          What do you consider a reasonable time??

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2012
            depends on lots of things, one of which is your definition of reasonable time. how well is the boiler insulated? what is the efficacy of your boiler? what is in the boiler?
            look here for help with your answer. (my guess would be lots)

            http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" <whitney@...> wrote:

            > How many BTU's does one need to heat a 600 gallon boiler in reasonable time?

          • w_upnorth
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 27, 2012
              water weighs apx 8.33 lb btu is = to raising 1 pound of water from 39°F to 40°F (per hour I think) so 600x8.33 = 4998 btu's per degree F. I think if you add degree to be rised and guess heat loss do some math you will get an apx. on tha time it takes.