second distillation pot still

  • emab1945
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
      How to dilute second dist. Do i just use water ? Dont want to put just Distilate in still. I think it mite be a little dangerous.
    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "emab1945" <emab1945@...> wrote:

        > How to dilute second dist. Do i just use water ? Dont want to put just Distilate in still. I think it mite be a little dangerous.

        You just pour your distillate back into the still. Watch your temperatures and you will be fine. You should always keep an eye on the temperatures anyway if you want a clean product. Always keep open flame away from any alcohol vapours and don't spill your distillate over the heater! Any time you mess with flammable or combustible liquids, there is inherent danger. Just don't get sloppy.
        Any standard still shouldn't allow any pressure build up, except for that to overcome the slight force to push the vapour through the condensing lines. As long as that is true, the alcohol will happily evaporate and condense through the system as it should. If you have a blockage in the vapour path then steam pressure will build up. If allowed to continue without relief, the pressure will reach a point where the vessel will explode. Even worse, if you have a high concentration of alcohol in the still the temperature could rise to the auto ignition temperature of the alcohol resulting in a BLEVE and you don't want to go there. Well, I've rambled and gone overboard.... in short, use a good still design, watch your temperatures and enjoy the fruits of your labour. :)
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
          You can just dilute with water to get it below 40%.  Or, if you want a little more flavor, you can add some of your wash to dilute also.
          Steve Roberson

          6th generation Texan

          I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on.
          I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.
          by J. B. Books
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
            Water down to 40%ABV,and it'll be cool
          • Becool Stayslinky
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
              There is a good article in Harry's library that explains it in detail. I have been meaning to read it again myself.

              Start here:

              http://distillers.tastylime.net/newSite/homepage.html

              Click on the "archives" link at the top and look for a link called "Diluting the still charge"

              Cheers,

              BC